'Preview' replacement? *Help*

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNoobGuy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

Hi all, I used to really enjoy using Preview for .pdf files and images, but Mavericks has removed the 'hand gesture' tool so I need to find a replacement. I'm now using 'Adobe Reader' for .pdf files, but I need something for images. What can I use?

Thanks for any help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you looking for image editing apps? If so check out pixelmator.

3. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want something to view images with. The 'hand tool' no longer works in Mavericks' Preview.

4. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

What are my alternatives guys? I haven't found much, really. I hear Xee is good. Is that true?

5. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Just to remind myself, what did the "hand gesture" tool actually do?

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It's so you can click and drag to move around a document instead of using a magic mouse/trackpad gesture to scroll around the image, or assigning pan/scroll to a button on a graphics tablet (which allows you to click and drag around a document in Preview on Mavericks.).

8. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Oh, is that all? Well, in that case I can safely recommend a Magic Trackpad rather than any replacement application, which is good because I used to love Preview when I was using a Mac fulltime (bugger Adobe Reader...). Damned if I'd want to click-to-drag in these days of gestures.

It used to be the case that I hated laptop trackpads with a fiery passion but you'd have to prise my cold, dead, hands from the Magic Trackpad.

9. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah this guy is right.

What's the best replacement for Preview?

10. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still looking for a replacement for Preview.

11. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

12. kastorff, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

Good alternatives? I don't think so, hence the lack of a long list of options provided by forum members. The problem is, there isn't a competitive market for "viewers". Editors, creators, databases, yes. Viewers, no.

Pretty much anything you could replace the image viewing function of Preview with is designed to do much more than view, and costs money, which makes it a less than good replacement for a system provided (free), well integrated, image/pdf viewer with light editing features.

Pixa provides viewing, conversion, tagging, and resizing functions for images and lesser functions for pdfs, but it's primarily an image database, so items must be added to its database before you can view them with Pixa.

iPhoto is a pretty good viewer and light editor, but it has the same "database" issue as Pixa.

Any graphics editor will do, like Acorn, GraphicConverter, Pixelmator, or Photoshop.

Personally, I like the "buy a trackpad" option. The gesture bus left the station a long time ago with Apple. It's only gonna get harder and harder to use a Mac and not adopt gesture based navigation.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

for a PDF replacement look at the shareware application PDFPen. For images I suggest the shareware Pixelmator.