Preview sidebar display

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cheath, Dec 11, 2008.

1. cheath macrumors newbie

On a new iMac that I have, it came with Preview 4.1. However, it displays things on the side bar quite differently than the older version that is on my Mac OS X laptop.

For example, the sidebar display for one particular document on my OS X laptop has broken down very nicely by sections, a table of contents. However, that same document on the iMac with Preview 4.1 displays thumbnails of all 1459 pages rather than the same table of contents sections. And yes, even if I click "table of contents" on the bottom of the sidebar, that doesn't work. It just says "no sections".

So the same document, but two different results. Has anybody found a work around for this? I looked through the preferences but couldn't find anything of use. I'm considering transferring Preview from my laptop to the new machine, but I'm having a hard time believing this newer version actually lost that nifty feature.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. mactoids macrumors newbie

mactoids

Cheath, that's pretty strange. I know you mentioned that the Table of Contents choice isn't working but when you drop open the view button at the bottom of Preview's sidebar - do you see three choices: Thumbnails, Table of Contents or Annotations? What Preview build are you using - 469.2.2?

3. cheath thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Preview 4.1, and I do see those options at the bottom of the screen. This is frustrating because I know this particular document is capable of having the various components of it listed in a nice table of content format on the side bar, because that's how it appears on my laptop. But now for some reason, it doesn't do that. So if I want any particular section, I have to keep randomly guessing on pages out of a 1500 page document until I reach the section I want, rather than just clicking on it from the sidebar.

Other documents appear to be set up that way as well. I was considering copying over my earlier version of preview to see if that helps. Suggestions?