Preview slow in 10.6.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Warsteiner, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Warsteiner macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing an irritating little problem with Preview at the moment, and I'm hoping you guys might know if there's a way to fix it.

I have a collection of a few hundred jpegs taken from my camera; all are about 5-6 MB each. I previously had no problem opening these pictures in Preview - loading times were practically instantaneous. Now, however, it takes about 4-5 seconds to load a picture: and that includes when I have multiple pictures loaded in Preview and I'm cycling through them.

I have no idea what might have caused this, save for the fact that I recently upgraded to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2. Could this be the root of the problem?

Edit: I'm running an early 2006 Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz core duo with 2GB of RAM.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I haven't noticed any difference in Preview's perfomance after going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3. My images open pretty quickly, certainly not 4 or 5 seconds.

3. kcender macrumors newbie

Warsteiner, I recently updated and am having the same issue. Have you had any luck finding a solution?

I'm using a first gen. Macbook Pro 2.0 2Ghz system. No problems in 10.6.2 or errors during the install.

4. celticpride678

My images also open up very fast on Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Try repairing your disk permissions. If that does not work, pop in your Snow Leopard Install DVD, go to Optional Installs and reinstall Preview.

5. timelessbeing macrumors member

I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and I'm having the same issue. It takes 3 sec to load a 3MB JPEG. Used to be instant. What the heck is going on???

Here's what it looks like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpCi7KtT3s

6. coolstine macrumors newbie

I am also having the same issue after upgrading to 10.6.3.

It seems to be centralized with the older apples. I have a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo and it is super frustrating for editing and viewing pictures.

Anyone have any solution to this problem besides waiting for 10.7?

7. aaarrrgggh macrumors regular

Brand new i7 iMac, 4GB memory, same problem. Loading file from a Samba server; one picture takes about 10 seconds, and 3 take 25 seconds. If I load 200 as I normally do, it takes 10 minutes to load them, and 30+ seconds for thumbnails to refresh. These files are only 2.1MB each. My old original Core Duo MBP was faster...

(And, I did repair permissions first.)

Works fast when running from local drive.... or when I switch to my gigabit port... Operator error, I guess.

8. timelessbeing macrumors member

aaarrrgggh, I don't know what a Samba server is, but it's not surprising that pulling photos down from some kind of server is going to be slower. I'm pretty sure that those of us experiencing this problem are using their internal hard drives, which as you state works normally for you, therefore you're not really adding anything helpful here.

9. McMark macrumors newbie

A Fix Please? Anyone?

i am having the same problem.
    I have noticed that it i log into another account (guest)
    i dont have the problem. I have tried trashing preview prefs and
    repairing permissions.
    Trashing the preview pref file worked for a little while but now
    even doing that doesnt help

surely there are people less retarded than myself who can solve
    this one
    cheers
    :D

10. Spity macrumors newbie

Hi, I update Snow Leopard to 10.6.4 and have the same problem. Any solutions? :confused: