Preview stinks up riMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robgendreau, Nov 21, 2014.

1. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Preview doesn't seem to be very retina-aware.

On my retina iMac if I take a photo it by default will open it smaller than true resolution, i.e. not pixel-for-pixel. If I choose "actual size" it ISN'T actual size, it's blown up bigger. This is with my riMac at "best for display" settings.

Most all my other photo-savvy applications, Photoshop, Graphic Converter, LilyView, Lightroom, Aperture, etc, will be smart enough to continue to show UI elements properly but show the photo pixel-for-pixel. What's the problem with Preview? I can understand a browser like Safari not getting it, but Preview can be set as the default viewer for many images.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

In Mountain Lion it did (on the rMBP). In Mavericks they changed "Actual Size" to mean 72 PPI for most images, even ones set to 144 PPI. Bugged me ever since. Considering how stripped-down Preview is there doesn't seem to be a setting for it either.

Preview has a lot of other annoyances as well, if this really bugs you use a different app for viewing images.

3. robgendreau thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah. Sigh. Considering Apple's previous commitment to visual arts you'd think that they'd have something better. I guess this gets lumped in with iPhoto/Aperture neglect.

For right now, LilyView seems to be working best as an alternative, although sometimes, even though I have the OS set to default to LilyView to open images, some applications still throw me to Preview.

Maybe the new vaporish Photos application on the Mac will be a solution....

4. Thorf13 macrumors member

This is interesting. To be honest I had forgotten that it worked fine in Mountain Lion. I don't use it that much, so I only recently noticed that it wasn't displaying correctly.

This really confirms my impression that Mavericks was not a great update for the Retina MacBook Pro. It introduced some sort of thumbnail lag in Finder that was never there in Mountain Lion. Yosemite seems a little better so far.