Preview won't open any images

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annk, Feb 22, 2009.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Preview will still open .pdf, but not .jpg. It happened suddenly, no rhyme or reason. I've checked the info on the .jpgs, there's no restriction on the permissions that should keep them from opening, and Preview is selected as the app to open them.

I've tried trashing the .plist, repairing permissions, and restarting. No dice.

I'm running 10.5.6, and haven't installed anything recently.

Any wise readers out there have any idea what is going on? :(

2. zombieaters macrumors newbie

during bootup hold comand S and when you get to a screen that looks like DOS type in fsck -fy and that might fix it... worth a shot... not sure if itll work though. good luck!

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What happens when you try to open the images in Preview? Also check the Console app to see if it outputs any error messages and post them here.

4. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

BOY do I feel stupid. :eek:

On Friday I had activated double screen mode. I was away during the weekend, put my Mac to sleep and turned off the extra screen.

When I got back, I tried to open some images in Preview, and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't show up. I posted here and a couple of you tried to help.

I just turned on the extra screen, to do some work, and GUESS WHERE THE OPEN IMAGE FILES WERE? :p

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Hahaha that's awesome. Glad you figured it out.

That's weird though that Preview opens them all on the external display.

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It's especially weird since I have to manually drag windows to the other screen when I want them to appear there. And when I turned the screen off on Friday, there were no windows there at all. :confused: