Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonoSeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
I've been waiting FOREVER for the new Mac Pros to come out, but now once they are, i'm not so sure about my purchase.

I can get the previous Gen Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors from MacMall for roughly $2539.99. Should I go with that, or the new Single 2.66 that just came out for roughly the same price?

Any thoughts? Probably not until we get real bench marks... so maybe i'm jumping the gun. :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Hopefully there will be detailed benchmarks comming out soon as there is so much confusion and you can make a better decision then.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I've been waiting FOREVER for the new Mac Pros to come out, but now once they are, i'm not so sure about my purchase.

I can get the previous Gen Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors from MacMall for roughly $2539.99. Should I go with that, or the new Single 2.66 that just came out for roughly the same price?

Any thoughts? Probably not until we get real bench marks... so maybe i'm jumping the gun. :)

It really depends on what you need, cores or speed. Will you be multithreading?

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Get the old one. This is the first generation based on the Nehalem architecture. Personally, I avoid first generations, but your mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.