Previous Gen 09 Special Pricing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wfj5444, Aug 9, 2010.

1. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Has anyone called their local Apple store to see if they are offering fire sale pricing on the 09 Mac Pro since the new 2010's are spec bumped for 4 and 8 core?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Just called my local store and they said no discount until the 2010s come in. They were unsure when they may start getting those models in from Apple.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Thanks for posting. Interesting they would wait until the '10s actually arrive. Who would be that insane to willingly pay full boat on an '09 at this point? It's dead inventory. I'm wondering if they just haven't rec'd the official markdown sheet yet, but that it will come well ahead of the new models. Might be useful to call again later in the week once the dust has settled.

4. wirelessness macrumors 6502

I was expecting to see more inventory and lower prices in the Refurbished Store as soon as the new models came online but that has not been the case as of yet.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I think you're right. The person I spoke to simply rang up one of their Mac Pros and saw the same pricing. But she confirmed that they usually discount older models and could only offer a guess as to when that may happen. I was thinking of dropping by and asking in person later this week.

6. Ravich macrumors 6502a

It took the iMacs a couple of weeks before the 09 refurbs went down in price.

7. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I just called another Apple Store in the area and they said any previous-generation Pros would go to the Refurb store online. No idea when that may happen. Maybe each store is different?

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Was he referring to display models or also new in box units? I have a hard time believing they would spend money to refurb "new" stock.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The "older" Nehalem models should be up for sale with a big discount (something like $500 off the base model) when the new Mac Pros are in the stores.

It has always been this way I remember clearly with the 08' Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 core model going for $1999 (without business discount) but with a business account purchase it was $1799.

10. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I asked about any previous generation models. Given the response from my previous call and jjahshik32's remarks, he may have misunderstood me. I'm still planning to go in and talk to a rep in person, so I'll report back then.