Previous Gen Imac Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msw123307, Apr 28, 2008.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I noticed today the price for the white 24" iMac dropped to $1199. Am I mistaken, or wasn't it priced at around $1400 previously? I would prefer to have the newer technology, but with the gradient problem just can't justify it. Besides the processor speed, what are the other downsides to buying an imac from this gen? It seems like a great deal to get a 24" for that price. Thoughts are appreciated..thanks.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

it is a great deal. unless you are going to use your computer for more than internet and photo storing, the previous gen will be just fine. you can always max out the ram with the money you saved too.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does this model only max out at 3 gb? I'd prefer to wait until next year to get the newer model..in hopes of a better screen and possibly some newer features. Seeing if there is anything else I'd be missing out on by going for this model. Or if the speed would be noticeably slower..

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

no. It has a santa rosa chipset, allowing you to use 4 gb of ram.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

nevermind, i thought you were referring to the aluminum imac.

the white one maxes out at 3 gb

6. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Yes, if you look at more info it says 3GB max. If you put 4GB in there who knows, may get another 1/3 of a gb, but that's all.

So you have to ask yourself whether an extra GB of expansion is necessary for you. In the immediate future I don't it unless you're do 3D graphics/animation or heavy video editing.

I was thinking about that refurb too, but it's 2 gen's old now right? The FSB is 667. It was updated to 800, and now over 1000. Plus the cache is smaller.