Previous GEN Macbook Pro for $1299--GOOD DEAL?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nirav464, Dec 4, 2008.

1. nirav464 macrumors member

Hey guys, first time buying a mac :D

Now it all comes down to the price. I have a budget of *$1300.

So now i can either buy the new aluminum macbook for $1300 or this old* macbook pro for $1300 (with rebate)
    *by old I mean a brand new previous generation MBP- AKA not aluminum

Main SPECS:
    -2.4 Ghz
    -2 GB RAM
    -15''
    -200 GB HHD

I'm going to college next year so basically I want something that will at least last me 3 or 4 years. So what will be a better deal for me?

Please tell me the ads and dis-ads of both.

THANKS SO MUCH!!
    (Better deals are more than appreciated :p)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That looks like macmall's current deal?? You're also getting some handy software with it if it is. It's a nice price if you need the add-ons and are diligent about the rebates.

Take a look at what is offered as BuyItNow on eBay - you can get $200 cashback with the paypal/live.com/ebay deal, so you may be able to do better there.

3. vga4life macrumors 6502

The old MBP is a better machine in almost every way than the new Macbook. Bigger, non-glossy screen. Faster discrete video chipset (instead of nvidia integrated video.) Firewire 400 and 800 (instead of no firewire at all.) ExpressCard slot.

I wouldn't consider buying a macbook for the price of a refurb macbook pro of any generation.

4. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

The previous Macbook Pro is a great deal. Especially if you don't mind not having the newest technology. It's a great computer and a great deal and by the way it is aluminum, just different build procedure than new generation.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. If you want new technology, then go for the MacBook. Older, but a little better technology, go for the MacBook Pro.

6. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with them. I am actually going to pick up that same computer, especially with that gorgeous screen. I HATE glossy personally, but then again, whatever floats your boat. :apple:

7. erickj macrumors regular

Just got...

The same deal through my university. They discounted that exact MacBook Pro for 1299.99 (and even had a no tax day, yay) and I bought one. I love it mostly because it's like I never left my 12" PowerBook. Aside from being a larger screen and better speakers, the texture and feel are the same and it's smoking fast. I'm a little concerned about the graphics card issue, but I got applecare so I'm covered for at least 3 years. And by the way, the resale on them should hold up should you decide to sell. I'm loving this thing.

8. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

this is the exact situation i was in one month ago
    2.4 ghz alu mb or 2.4ghz past gen mbp
    this was such a hard decision for me
    but i went for the mbp cause
    * i think the old design for the mbps is very classy
    * a gpu that performs about 50% better than the mbs 9400m
    * MATTE SCREEN, even though i could live with a glossy screen easily, i have had to many issues with glare on older computers, the glare resistant screen is more comfortable for me to look at
    *i think the 1280 x 800 display is just a bit to small to work comfortably on and is horrid to game on.

It all comes down to personal preference.
    i like the old mbps better that the new mbs and mbps
    Ultimately you need to decide what will be better for you

9. Evolesque macrumors member

I was in the same situation with buying a mbp.

I ended up getting the older model mbp. In your case if your going off to college and really want 3-4 years with a computer it has to be the macbook pro. Doing assignments suck on a smaller screen....at least thats how I remembered it. You do get portability with the newer macbooks but since they will be the same price for you it just makes sense to get the pro.

yeah even though the macbook is lighter, when you start carrying around the mbp you'll realize its not really that big of a deal. You probably think your going to be carrying a lot of books with you and space is limited in your bag but,....after a couple of quarters or semester you'll probably stop carrying books anyways so it'll work out!

The hardware you already know is better on the last gen model so hope this helps!

10. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Another advantage of the new MB over the old MBP is portability. Though 1 lb difference doesn't seem like much, if you're taking it around everywhere you go, you will likely notice the difference.

If it's possible, you should see both of them in person to get a feel for them both.

Good luck!

11. descartes macrumors 6502

portability is not only weight but overall dimensions. you will find that the mb slips into bags more comfortably v the mbp.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It's the old argument of power versus portability; the impressive power and superb screen of the MBP, versus the really rather good MB.

Re the OP's original question, yes, this is a rather good deal, and the previous generation MBP is a very good computer, and it will certainly see you through several years of college. Apple's warranty (and Applecare) are there to deal with problems, should anything go pear-shaped.

Chers and good luck

13. nirav464 thread starter macrumors member

hey thanks for all the input! really appreciated.

I think I'll be getting the MBP, mainly because it'll last much longer than the MB and faster too :D

:)