Previous gen top spec MBP or Current gen low end MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolidGun, May 31, 2010.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I have a really hard time deciding. My school still has previous gen model available and the deal is really nice at this time (free Applecare and free iPod after MIR...)

MB986LL/A Alum MacBook Pro 2.8GHz/4GB 500GB HD $1709

MC371LL/A 2.4GHz MacBook Pro 320GB $1699 (But no free Applecare)

BACKGROUND:
    I am replacing a 2008 MBP and really don't need a power house as I do anything processing intensive on my current version MacPro. I just wanted other people's opinion on if the latest graphics bump and i5 would be something that I would miss for the small price difference as most people here have kept up with that kind of information. Logging out to change the graphics card would be a bit annoying, but I am not sure how people live with it at this time if you happen to own the previous gen MBP.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I suppose a lot depends on your needs...You're gonna get a newer and faster processor and video card in the new one along with a redesigned Bluetooth and WiFi antenna array...I always go with the newer tech if I can...but that is just me...;)

3. canderton macrumors member

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I'd probably get the older one, considering it comes with Applecare and the free iPod.

5. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

6. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Err, if you aren't going to be doing any hard work on it then don't even bother getting a 15". Go with a low end 13" for portability and battery life.

You can get a 13" with a 500GB HDD and AppleCare for $1417 with a student discount. You also get a free iPod with this.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Heck, for that matter he can get a new MacBook for $999.00 :D

8. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

That works too. It would be $1267 with a 500GB HDD in the white MacBook, assuming he even needs the hard drive space.

9. trondah macrumors 6502

I'd get the more powerful one, sell it for more, then buy the 13.3" with student discount and sell the iPod :)

10. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

One last shameless bump as I am about to go over to the bookstore and buy one.

Thanks in advance for any opinion on this!!! :)

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Get the new one...you won't regret it...:D

12. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

13. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

If the i5 version was $200+ more expensive I would definitely go with the older version and throw an SSD in it as it would be faster, especially since it doesn't sound like you plan on maxing out the processor at all.

But in this case, with the price difference being $10, there is no doubt I would go with a new one.

And I definitely would not let Applecare determine which one I purchased. I worked at an Apple store in college and I truly believe Applecare is a TERRIBLE value. I will never buy it myself. But to each their own.

14. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I figured I would close this thread by stating what I bought.

I ended up buying the I5 base model 17". That is the only size of MBP/PB line I haven't owned so I figured what the hell.

Thanks for all your inputs folks!