Previous iMac 24": New or Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thunderbird, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Hi, just a couple of quick questions which I couldn't find an exact answer to after searching.

1). Looking at getting the previous iMac version 24", 2.93 GHz. My local Apple store still has one or two left. It's also available as a refurb for about $250. less. The warranty seems to be the same (one year), so, all things being equal (and assuming both refurb and new model are defect and trouble free), is there any advantage in buying the new one? Any other consideration that may be a factor either way? If I order the refurb from the Apple website, is shipping still free to Canada?

2). Does this version of the iMac support dual monitors ? If so, does it both span and mirror?

Thanks.

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I think there are two advantages to buying refurb...

1) An actual Apple technician opened up the computer and tested it before it was released to be sold as refurbished.

2) There is a small chance that you'll actually get better hardware than you paid for (like upgraded RAM or a larger hardware). The spec you see on Apple's website is actually a "minimum." Sometimes you'll get the benefits of someone else's build-to-order.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I would go with the refurb: $250 savings is good money, and the refurb offers everything the new one does except the fancy packaging. Warranty is the same, including the option to extend AppleCare, and as NorCalLights points out, you might (if you're very lucky) get a better specced machine than you order.

It supports the built-in monitor plus an external monitor for both spanning and mirroring.

5. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

It supports both spanning and mirorring? Good. Thanks.

I suppose there's no way of knowing whether I'd be getting one of the last 2009 factory builds or an earlier one?

6. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I have personally bought 4 mac's from the refurb store. They are basically in brand new condition and you save $$$$ and the same warranty as new!

Just last week they had mini's for $475, needless to say they did not last more than a few hours. :)