Previous MacBook Pro vs Aluminum MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joe22790, Jan 3, 2009.

1. joe22790 macrumors newbie

Opinions on which is the best deal?? Is the new platform with improved bus speed and DDR worth the extra money?? XP or Vista on Mac?? I hate Vista on PC because it crashes too much.

Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB, 200GB, SuperDrive - GLOSSY with Parallels Desktop 4.0 and Microsoft Windows XP Professional pre-installed MB487LL/A

FREE Roxio - TOAST 9 BASIC

FREE Epson - STYLUS NX400 INK JET ALL-IN-ONE MULTIFUNCTION PRINTER - BLACK

For about $1530 from MacMall

OR

13.3" MACBOOK INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4GHZ, 2GB, 250GB, SUPERDRIVE - ALUMINUM WITH PARALLELS DESKTOP 4.0 AND MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL PRE-INSTALLED

FREE Roxio - TOAST 9 BASIC

FREE Epson - STYLUS NX400 INK JET ALL-IN-ONE MULTIFUNCTION PRINTER - BLACK

For about $1750

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You have to tell us what you want to use the computer for. The only viable reason for anyone to buy a MacBook Pro over a MacBook is because they need the GPU - all of the other features are insignificant when the price difference is considered.

Also, if you decide on the MacBook, go for the 2.0GHz model - it's far cheaper and only slightly slower than the 2.4GHz one. It's a shame so many people are being ripped off by Apple when they buy the 2.4GHz.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Or the Firewire. For almost anything involving any sort of vaguely complex audio editing and video editing is next to impossible on the MacBook. As soon as you want to do more than a simple plug 'n play "wow it works" job, Firewire becomes a necessity.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

xp definitely. Don't waste your time with vista. When you say best deal, do you mean bang for the buck? more computer for less money?

If so, then the MBP is obviously a better deal.

5. joe22790 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry....

I am looking for bang for the buck and flexibility. All work I do will be windows office based because that's what our Navy network uses. Other than that I will be using it for web surfing and Itunes. I would like to be able to buy an external HD so I dont fill up my computer with music. I currently have over 6500 songs and intend to add a lot more.

Last thought, I will probably by an external monitor to play movies when I am on the ship. Then again, I could use my PS3 there and only bring laptop home.

Sorry for the confusion. I just want to make the right purchase before I make the Mac dive:D

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Vista isn't actually that bad, go for it. Get the MacBook Pro, it's a better computer for what you pay.

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Unless your fine with a 13" screen go for Previous MBP, a 15" screen is soo nice.

ChrisN

8. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana