Previous MacBooks Refurbed Are Mostly NEW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gkarris, Mar 5, 2008.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Just got my Black MacBook refurbed yesterday.

It was essentially new. Not a scratch on it. Some black paint inconsistencies on the tack button?

Then I stopped by the Apple Store to get the keyboard protector for it and the guy I normally talk with and buy from (he's the one that sold me my iPhone) said that they had sent all the previous MacBooks that were unsold back to Apple to be sold as refurbs...

Apple essentially took them out of the box, turned it on to check them, and put them back into the brown refurb boxes....

Mine is awesome!

Get them while you can...

2. Fezzasus macrumors regular

I'm not convinced by that, why would apple pay people to change the packaging rather than just sending the packaging the macbook should be in?

It's not like anyone would complain that they got a new one rather than refurbished.

3. KompleX macrumors regular

i only had my new macbook for less than a week when i exchanged it for a penryn macbook, so that's another reason why the refurbished macbooks look new. whoever purchases my "old" macbook please take good care of her; she served me well if only for a short time.

4. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

It's against the law to sell something factory refurbished without issuing a new serial number and changing the packaging...

The guy at the Apple Store said they shipped back all the NEW MacBooks to Apple to sell as refurbished...

5. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Can you post this law? Because I swear there have been instances were people bought refurbs and got a brand new system, including the original fancy packaging.

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

But that isn't what i'm saying. I said why would they bother to repackage new macbooks as refurbished

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

All the refurbs I've purchased do have special serial #'s.

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

The manufacturer does reserve the right to send you a new product instead of a refurb.

Called Google - you should try it...

Here's a place that describes what "factory refurbished is"...

http://buyessex.stores.yahoo.net/refurb.html

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think refurbish almost always look new cause they put a new case on the outside, if there are any defects at alL?

10. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

11. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

my blackbook (refurb 2.2 bought after the penryns were released) was definitely a refurb. It came with no install discs (they are sending them to me now) and an extra gig of RAM. :D

13. Crow47 macrumors member

I could probably believe this. When I got my Macbook, I would've liked to have seen one person who could look at it on my desk and tell me it was a refurb. It looked brand spankin new.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

responding to the photos on flickr: why doesn't apple give us all the nice boxes with stickers on them, all while saving paper?

15. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Looks like with the previous MBP's, they just slapped a sticker on it...

Enjoying my Refurbished "New" MB....

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's kind of weird. I can't see why Apple would sell brand new machines as refurbs when they could easily place them in the "special deals" section like they did the iPods when new models come along. They can then be sold as new and get a few extra nickels for them.

17. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I think they did that at the Apple Store a long time ago when the 2nd version of the MacBooks came out - it took a while to get rid of old stock. People were thinking - "Why not spend the extra $100 for a better processor, memory, and hard drive?"

This way, Apple can get rid of them quicker as refurbs.

18. krye macrumors 68000

krye

It is against the law to sell a refurb w/o disclosing to the consumer that it is a refurb, but I believe the serail number does not have to change. Some companies, such as mine, change the part number for accounting purposes. For example: Device X is 0997-00-10. A refurbed one is 0997-UC-10. The serial stays the same. It's the part number that gets changed, and the label on the device is updated too.

19. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

This all just goes to show that Apple deserves to be Fortune's #1 Most Admired Company.

Selling customers, who are willing to go with slightly older tech, refurbs as new, only helps customer satisfaction.

I forgot, that at church a long time ago, when the Mini was upgrade from the Core Solo to the Core Duo, Apple sent us a refurbished 1 Gig RAM/ 80 Gig HD instead of the 512/60.

I never thought I'd get a Black MacBook for around $1,000. I'm was tired of waiting for the Aluminum MacBook.

Though, when the time comes, I'm going to get the "newest" refurbished Aluminum MacBook the same way!

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you look at online store, they are selling MBP 15" refurbs for a couple hundred dollars less than their clearance items page. $1,499 refurb, $1,699 new old stock clearance.

People are willing to pay a little bit more for a brand new last weeks (months..) model than a refurb in brown box.

21. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

I ordered an iMac refurb and it came with some scratches on the front and no Front Row remote...

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

That's really cool! :) I may have to pick another one up!

Oh no.... Not again...