Previous Model Discounts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by filmbuff, Jun 12, 2012.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Has anybody heard any rumors/know anything about whether or not Apple will offer leftover previous generation MBPs at a discount? An early 2012 15" would be ideal for me, and if they offer it at $100 off, plus my student discount, plus the iTunes gift card that would be a pretty good deal. But there is nothing currently listed on clearance, did they sell all of them?

Refurbs also seem a bit expensive when I could get a brand new 13" MBA for $1200.

2. VThokie7 macrumors newbie

I've seen others reference a refurbed 15" for $1359.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

They dropped the refurb prices a good bit. As far as new goes, I haven't seen any of them on the website as of yet. Others in the past have said that Apple sometimes kills off their existing stock by shipping new hardware on refurb orders. But Apple doesn't discount refurbs any further than what is listed on the website (i.e., no additional student discount)

That said, if you specifically want a new one then Best Buy is a good way to go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Laptop-Computers/MacBooks/pcmcat247400050001.c?id=pcmcat247400050001

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Refurbs are used computers. What about all the new ones they had for sale up to the day before they announced the updated models?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

They get sold online as refurbs, regardless of the fact that they haven't been used before.

When I worked for Apple Retail, if you caught a physical store before they shipped their old models back, you could buy those at a discount. But I don't recall that discount being the same as if you bought one off of the refub (although you'd be guaranteed that it'd be new if you bought it at a physical store).

6. trikky macrumors regular

Refurbs may or may not be used computers.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Did I hear you or read you correctly? Refurb by definition means brought back to new condition. If a MBP is brand new unused in the box, it has no reason to be labeled refurb!

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

In the past Apple has killed off their remaining stock of new last gen models by selling then in the refurb pool after a refresh. You don't know which model you'll get, but there is a chance now (albeit a slim one) that if you order a late 2011 stock MBP from the refurb store; you'll get a new one.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

There is actually EOL pricing but there is a very small window. Apple varies the timeframe in which they request stores send them back, this time it seems they asked for higher end models immediately and lower end models are hanging in store til the end of the week (YMMV).

Omce they go back, they are not sold as refurbs (because they are not refurbs). They actually go to the clearance section.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/clearance

10. Rockadile macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a new 2011 15' MBP. Will the Apple retail store give me clearance discount if I found the old one in stock? Edu discount also perhaps?

Other retailers have $200-$250 discount now on the 15' but if the clearance discount is more than that I can wait.

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you can grab an EOL machine in store then you should be able to get the education discount and the EOL pricing.

You cannot get a discount on a clearance machine in the online education store.

12. Rockadile macrumors regular

Do you know how much the clearance discount were for previous generations?

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It varies from $100 to $600 depending on the specifications. Starting with the 13" and moving up. I don't have exact numbers.

14. trikky macrumors regular

By definition, yes. However, Apple 'refurb' items may simply be discontinued models.

Why would Apple be selling as 'new', a superseded model? It doesn't make sense. I don't think I've ever seen Apple selling - online or instore - their superseded models alongside new models.

They bump 'em out the back and get rid of them through their refurb store. That's why I pounce on the superseded model from the refurb store when a new one is announced. Sure...it may be used...but it's still a substantial savings

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well, you may want to look in the clearance section...