Previous Shutdown Cause: -128

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by braidednation, Jul 4, 2009.

1. braidednation macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook that will decide to stop and sometimes restart. But most of the time it is just dead. Sometimes a COPR will work, but often, it will load os and then shutdown.

I have no battery in the unit.

Checked the logs and get the following

Previous Shutdown Cause: -128

If anyone knows what that code is..what does it mean?
    Is there a way of finding out what all the codes mean, does apple have a list of code numbers???

Thanks,

2. charlus macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I've got a similar problem since a few weeks.
    My macbook 13.3" ( macbook 5,1 Core 2 duo 2,4GHZ ) 2008 model seems to have a similar problem ( Running 0SX 10.6.3 )
    When I'm on battery ( display saying I still have 1h left before being empty ), the macbook shutdowns without any warning. When I want to power it on, it turns off almost immediately, unless I plug in the adaptor.

Looking at the logs, I find this : Previous Shutdown Cause: -128
    This is the first post I can find reporting the same error code..

I've recently replaced the original HD with a Samsung 320GB 7200rpm, battery lifetime has been reduced but at least I should get a correct reading on the battery monitor.
    Here's what the battry info states:
    135 Cycles, Santé 82%
    Capacité originale 4100mAh
    Capacité actuelle 3353mAh

Not perfect, but should still be good ( I think )

Any Idea of what can be wrong and how to fix it ?
    Thanks in advance !

3. pierrelin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've had a similar problem for the last few months with a 24" iMAC (2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) it would randomly shutdown just when browsing the internet or some other not too strenuous task and give a Previous Shutdown Cause -128.

I took it to the mac store (as it was still under warranty) they had never heard of a similar problem and didn't know what -128 meant so the ran some diagnostic tests and replaced the video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 120). However this didn't fix the problem so i took it back again and they ran some more test and replaced the front Bezel.

It has worked fine until recently when i tried to play a game using Steam and it shutdown again giving -128 as the cause, has anyone had a similar problem and did they manage to fix it?

Thanks

4. kevrayner macrumors newbie

If anybody know what causes this please let me know as i am at the end of my rope with my imac

Kev