Previous version 15" MBP vs New 13" MBP Features/Prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Socalieric007, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Socalieric007 macrumors newbie

As an upcoming new Apple computer owner (freedom!), I am very excited to see the changes today. I've been patiently waiting to see what would happen. Now we have something different and I'm evaluating this so I can move quickly.

My needs: DJing and iPhone game development. I don't believe I need the latest/greatest and I don't need to have the very best graphics card/screen.

I am now torn between getting a new 13" mbp, or the now older version of the 15"mbp. I thought I'd simply go the refurb route, but the prices on the refurbs are no lower. Will that change? Unless I'm missing something, refurb is not a good option right now.

There are so many factors to consider:
    New 13 mbp
    -student discount + ipod touch (through a friend)
    -dropped one of the audio ports (not sure how that would be involved in DJing)
    -new screen
    -fireware parity w/ all mbps
    -new battery life, as well as charge

Old
    -larger screen
    -9600 vid card
    -express card slot (do many people really even use this practically speaking?)
    -price???? Again, refurbs don't make sense (am I missing something). So, I guess I need to track down a reduced price one online, like macmall/clubmac, and that assumes they'll have some deal up shortly (nothing I see for now).
    -buy online and save $100+ in taxes

Whatever path I go, I intend to go to 4gb, and possibly upgrade drive in time.

Can you guys provide some specific feedback?

2. Socalieric007 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK...is this also true for all the MBPs?
    -Unable to upgrade HD or RAM????

If so, that forces me into the high-end 13". Hmm...

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

youuuu can still upgrade it there buddy... upgrading RAM on the 13.3 and 15" previously still involved taking off the bottom cover.

4. Socalieric007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused. I read on another thread that we will be unable to upgrade RAM/HDD for all the new MBPs b/c they are behind the battery (now, non-removeable). I'm thinking the older MBP is more flexible in that I can upgrade both, plus have the expresscard slot (though, I still wonder if most people never use them). Plus, the extra pixels from the bigger screen sounds nice (the screen quality on the old MBPs seemed just fine to my non-professional eyes). And finally, I wonder if it'll be anytime soon that having a separate GPU will prove worthwhile (essentially getting more processing power for non-intensive graphic users)?

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a