"...previously been synced with an iPhone..."

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KevO80, Sep 20, 2011.

1. KevO80 macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone.

First, my apologies if this topic has already been covered...I've been searching the forum for 2 hours and haven't been able to locate the help I need.

I have an iPhone 3GS, and have a Windows laptop and desktop (I know, I know). In the last month or so, when I've attached my phone to either of my computers, iTunes loads, my phone is shown under 'devices,' and I get a full screen that says "Set Up Your iPhone." Further, it says, "This computer has previously been synced with an iPhone or another iOS device." I'm then given the two options of 'set up as new iPhone' or 'restore from the backup of: XXMYiPHONEXX." My correct phone number is listed, as is the date of my last sync (8/11/11). I restored it the first time, and noticed that I lost a few pictures, songs, and texts that I'd added to the phone since the previous update. I (obviously) do not want to restore everything back to over a month ago.

Am I ignoring something simple here? I will gladly take any advice anyone can offer. Again, I'm sorry if I'm posting about a topic that has already been discussed.

Thanks, everyone!

2. njaremka macrumors 6502

the simple answer is: the iphone is only designed to be sync'd with one computer, not two. choose one, and always only use that one.

3. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

Also, on the computer you WON"T be syncing with, change the itunes preferences so automatic sync is disabled. Then you can charge via the usb port without syncing.

4. KevO80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much...I wasn't aware of that rule...I'm admittedly mac ignorant.

Is there anyway that I can now create a new backup point?

5. toiday macrumors regular

I myself didn't know that you can only connect iPhone to one iTune before I got my iPhone. I believe this is a "leash" Apple put on every single iPhone. Another thing is that you need to backup your iTune (as you're asking). If your computer HD crash, you may lose the content of your iPhone if you don't have a backup of your iTune. Here is how to do that: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1382