Previously had a good idea what I wanted, now not so much...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AGuyInATown, Oct 22, 2013.

1. AGuyInATown macrumors newbie

I was pretty set on getting the base 15" rMBP because it had dedicated graphics and not all of the other maxed out stuff that I felt like I didn't need. However, now that Apple has decided to only office the dGPU in the highest-end model, I'm not so sure about what I want. I don't game, and honestly, the most graphics-intensive computing that I do tends to be HD movie streaming, but I don't know if that would change if I had a computer that could handle more intensive programs/processes. I'm currently rocking a 2007 white Macbook, and am pretty desperate to upgrade. It's getting to the point where I'm even considering getting a PC laptop and running Linux. Any suggestions on what route may make the most sense?

2. leman macrumors 604

Ok, I am confused. The rMBP come with a fairly competent GPU, and you say that you don't do or plan of doing any GPU-intensive task in the first place. So whats the problem? Actually, just get a MacBook Air any be done with it, its powerful enough to do all you want and then some.

3. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not currently doing anything GPU-intensive because I don't have a machine that can do anything GPU-intensive. Although I wouldn't hardcore game, I may do more computer gaming if I had a computer that could do it (amongst other potentials). That's why I'm unsure about what exactly is reasonable for me to get.