Previously jailbroken IP4 failing to update to 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chic0, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

My IP4 was jailbroken on 4.0.1 and I have been using it for couple of months with no problems.

Tonight I planned updating to 4.1 then jailbreaking again, but I am having a problem updating with iTunes 10 on my Mac.

The update progress bar is displayed on phone screen. It gets to about two-thirds complete then nothing else happens. The first time I left it for nearly an hour and the progress bar didnt move at all.

I have stopped previous updates, reconnected and tried again, but same thing is happening. Any ideas please?

2. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry for the bump, but any help would be great.

At moment I maybe have a bricked phone as I am unable to install OS onto it.
    Right now the phone is in DFU mode. When I connect to itunes, it comes up saying that the phone needs to be restored. The restore process to 4.1 starts, but gets stuck two thirds complete.

3. TaterToT macrumors 6502

I had this problem and fixed it by editing the Hosts file.. put a # sign in front of any lines that are like 111.11.11.1.gs.apple or something like that, and then save it and then try to restore

4. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the host file? Is this the ipsw file?

5. TaterToT macrumors 6502

6. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

download RecBoot. I had the same issue and used RecBoot to start up my iphone again. Then just try to update again

7. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorted!!!

Slightly confused though.

I tried restoring again to 4.1, but this time with TinyUmbrella to preserve baseband. This time I got an error, I used the option to 'kick device out of recovery' and installation completed.

The reason why I am confused though is because I thought the only reason to preserve baseband is if you want to unlock device? My device was bought direct from Apple, so I don't need to worry about unlocking. But why did doing this step help me?

Anyway, phone seems to be working fine. Have JB via limera1n. Pretty painless.
    Just waiting for pkgBackup to reinstall my apps.

Thanks for responding though guys. Will keep that RecBoot in mind for another time if I encounter problems.

8. TaterToT macrumors 6502

It worked this way because TinyUmbrella had previously edited your Hosts file which communicates with Apple servers when trying to restore in iTunes. But when using TinyUmbrella it re-directed it to Saurik's servers so the restore was able to complete.. If you would of edited your Hosts file like I said a few posts up then you could of done it without using TinyUmbrella but either way it makes no difference

9. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

makes sense now. At least I know what to do when this happens again.
    I've found info on how to edit the hosts file, so all is not wasted

10. TaterToT macrumors 6502

No problem :)