Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly added a third contract manufacturer to its MacBook supply chain that will primarily handle assembly orders for the new MacBook Air (via DigiTimes).

macbook-air-m2.jpeg

China-based Wingtech Technology is said to have won the orders for Apple's just-announced new Mac model. The company joins Quanta Computer and Foxconn in what is now a trio of firms in Apple's MacBook supply chain.

Wingtech was previously said to have fallen out of favor with Apple due to manufacturing poor quality products. According to Chinese media reports in May, Wingtech was delisted by Apple from its front-facing camera module supply chain because of the flawed output, a rumor the supplier has dismissed.

Apple at WWDC 2022 announced the next-generation MacBook Air with an all-new M2 chip, a redesigned unibody enclosure, a brighter display with a notch, new color options like Starlight and Midnight, MagSafe charging, a 1080p camera, and more.

The new MacBook Air will be available next month, but no specific date has been provided by Apple. Pricing will start at $1,199 in the United States, and the previous-generation MacBook Air with the M1 chip will remain available for $999.

Article Link: Previously Out-of-Favor Apple Supplier Wins New MacBook Air Orders

• Sad
Reactions: u+ive

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How bad the delay would be this time then? I suspect the back order of MacBook Pro 14“ 16” is still strong.
Heard something happens again. I doubt the delay won’t go any better.

Last edited:

Chester Stone

macrumors member
May 28, 2016
new color options like Starlight and Midnight

No, the new color is really only Midnight. Not "color options like Starlight and Midnight."

Get it right.🤦🏻‍🤦🏿‍♂️ If you give two examples and add the word "like," you make readers think there are more, like the rumored iMac colors: purple, green, light blue, & pink.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
No, the new color is really only Midnight. Not "color options like Starlight and Midnight."

Get it right.🤦🏻‍🤦🏿‍♂️ If you give two examples and add the word "like," you make readers think there are more, like the rumored iMac colors: purple, green, light blue, & pink.
How the f was there Starlight before?
The Rose Gold looks completely different.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And I suppose that you cannot know where the MBA was assembled.
You wouldn’t know without decoding the serial number.

But at this point with the way things are with supplier relations and demand, especially for those who want one, who cares?

Krypton Deer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
at this point I almost could fly to the US to buy a MacBook Air and still save money. The Dollar to Euro ratio has gone crazy. I remember the days when they just replaced the $ with a € sign and people were already complaining.
How’s the demand side looking? Is it still impossible to find M1 Max in Euro? I’d be hesitant to buy at € pricing myself tbh.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
1200 dollars?? Lucky you!!
Here in Italy is like 1650 dollars (after taxes).

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

Like, cowabunga: lighten up dude!

Have some pizza.

1655122012011.jpeg

Reactions: sydneysider88

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
This is why I never liked Tim Cook. At least Jobs wanted premium dollars for premium products. Tim is just milking Apple loyalty as much as possible and squeezing every ounce of profit margin.

Tim's only expertise is squeezing profits; he has never shown real interest in anything else.
The original MacBook Air (2008) cost $1,799 at its base configuration.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
This is why I never liked Tim Cook. At least Jobs wanted premium dollars for premium products. Tim is just milking Apple loyalty as much as possible and squeezing every ounce of profit margin.

Tim's only expertise is squeezing profits; he has never shown real interest in anything else.
I had a very weird dream of Cook doing some local news channel piece where he was doing the usual talking about products, and there were around ten or twelve school-aged children standing around him while he talked to the camera.

Then some kid music started playing and the kids all started dancing. Then Tim started dancing, too, for the optics of the news piece.

I was just standing off to the side wondering why on earth he was humoring the kids by dancing with them.

Oh, M2 macs made in a Wing Factory? Ummm… well, I don’t have much confidence in a vendor who just recently failed quality control; coupled with knowledge of current events of high lead times, it’s hard not to believe the standards have been lowered to allow for more manufacturing partners.

Yah want Apple’s best? I’d say buy Apple’s best. That other junk it’ll be a lottery to have no issues.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.