Previously working steam games now unsupported?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Narcosynthesis, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

Previously I have been able to play both Half Life 2 and Portal on my macbook - I own a basic 2.13GHz white macbook which I know unfortunately sits below the minimum spec outlined in Steam (by lacking a suitable graphics card), but I have still been able to run both games with the knowledge that they may not run perfectly.

That was until trying to play HL2 today after not having played it for quite a while, to which I am getting an error on startup telling me that I do not meet spec.

Given that I have made no major changes in software or system, is there a reason this is now appearing? Have Steam made the decision to stop us underspecced sorts from playing at all rather than leaving us to run at our own risk?

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

if you are ever using any software on computer hardware or OS that is listed as "unsupported" then just know that any day on any patch up update or whatever that it may never work again... thats part of unsupported. When they add new features, like hardware checking, they do not support your hardware so that means they will not even consider thinking about its existence.

3. Narcosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

Damn, I tried Portal (initially free) and it had worked, so I had assumed that they left it up to you to run it or not - they won't guarantee its performance, but it is up to you to try it if you want.

Kinda annoyed I hadn't spent more time on HL2 now, had put in a couple of hours play then gotten distracted assuming to pick it up when I had more time, which has somewhat backfired on me now...

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

by default all steam games are auto updated by steam. You have to manually go into the preferences for the game in steam to tell it to not update