Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeliethegoalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
boulder,co
I'm trying to download a filed from YouSendIt but when I click the Download link I get this message:

/Previous Systems.localized/2008-08-22_1059/System/Library/Automator/Get Specified Address Book Items.action/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AddressBookPanel.nib/nWRdF85g.mp3.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.​

This happens only in Firefox, not in Safari. I've gone into the Previous Systems folder and can follow the file thread until I get to here:

nWRdF85g.mp3.part​

Any ideas on how to make this work? (And please don't suggest that I go back to Safari. I prefer Firefox.)

Thanks!

joeliethegoalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
boulder,co
I have new information regarding this issue and still hoping someone can help.

As it turns out, the issue described in the OP is not limited to YouSendIt. Any time I click a download link in Firefox, I get a message like this:

/Previous Systems.localized/2008-08-22_1059/System/Library/Automator/Get Specified Address Book Items.action/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AddressBookPanel.nib/nWRdF85g.mp3.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.​

When I trace the file thread, the trail ends at:

Get Specified Address Book Items.action/​

There's nothing after that. I'm guessing it's looking for something that's not there, but I'm not sure how to connect it with what it is looking for. Is it possible that this part of the thread (nWRdF85g) is a Firefox profile name?

When I follow the same thread in my current system, it also ends at that Address Book Items file.

I'm also wondering why a web download even needs an action relating to Address Book items.

Some background: used to use Firefox, switched to Safari (to take advantage of multi-trackpad features), system crashed and restored at some point, recently returned to Firefox. I have tried uninstalling and clean reinstalling FF to no avail.

Any ideas? Please?:)

studiousstud

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2007
Solution

Hey, I don't know if you ever found the solution to your problem but what I ended up doing was just nuking my entire preferences folder, located at

/Users/*INSERT_YOUR_USERNAME*/Library/Preferences

and then nuking the Firefox application support folder located at

/Users/*INSERT_YOUR_USERNAME*/Library/Application Support/Firefox

I'm not sure if the first one alone would be sufficient, but if that alone doesn't work be sure to backup your bookmarks before doing the second one as they are stored in the Application Support folder.

Hope that helps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.