Prey, Doom3, or itunes gift Card?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by billmister, Dec 14, 2007.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Hey everyone i have a quick question. I was planning on getting a game from the apple store but then got a $25 gift card for itunes. Now here is my question.

I used to play doom on the PC a long time ago (knee deep in the dead) and i LIKED the game a whole lot. I was really happy they offered it for mac now, but i didn't get time to buy it. Now i'm ready to buy but i was reading alot about how Doom3 may not work on intel, or it lags, or i need a patch, or can't network with pcs, blah blah blah. So what is the deal? will i be dissapointed if i purchase this game?.. My computer stats are on the bottom. Intel core 2 duo 2.0ghz, 2gig ram...

Anyway if it is going to cause problems, what do you guys think about PREY?... I just heard of it on the computer and saw it was available for mac. Wondering what you guys think. Compatible wise and game wise? Same thing, i want to play it and maybe network it as well.

The reason i mentioned itunes is because i haven't used it and i have the gift reciete, i might want to return and add money to get the game.

Please let me know.

2. 119576 Guest

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In the big world of FPS games Prey and Doom aren't that good. Prey has a nice alien setting and some pretty original and fun level design, Doom on the other hand is very basic. Just imagine Doom 1 but with better graphics and atmosphere (which is why I love the game :) ).

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

PREY! It is a really good game... even though it sometimes scared the living crap out of me:D

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'm going to vote for Doom 3 actually. It's simple design is great and the graphic style is pretty nice (though a little unrealistic) and the combat is a lot of fun, definitely worth getting.

Prey on the other hand, is a little different, the portal premise doesn't work as it should (I.E. it's not Valve's Portal) and some of the gravitational puzzles can be nauseating, they are fun but damn I got so sick playing this game and I'm very tolerable to motion sickness in games, today I played Portrait of Ruin 30 minutes in a bumpy car ride and I didn't feel anything but I couldn't play Prey for more than a hour without needing to take a long break and a glass of water.

Either way, even without the motion sickness, I still think Doom 3 is the better game, just don't expect any mindblowing puzzles and exploration, Doom 3 is a simple shoot and kill corridor shooter and a pretty darn fun one at that too. Lights off and headphones recommended.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Doom 3 =! the old Doom's. Doom 3 doesn't throw swarms at you all at once for one.

I've played, and beaten, Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom. They were awesome. Final Doom was pure insanity, but I kicked ass and took names.

With Doom 3... well I got bored.

7. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

OK guys i downloaded the demo for both and here is my review.

Prey-The graphics were really good, i had it on the highest setting and well enough it played REALLY well with extremely little to no lag. As if it was made to be played on my intel platform. The game graphics was great and the story line was a little weak but still kept me playing. Only thing is some of the creatures are a bit gross. In fact i found most of the creatures really cross. Like the Cockroach looking huge insect eating people and the hairs on their back... ewww.... And the eggs that falopian tube looking things dropes down, ewwww. And sometimes to go thru rooms you go thru this NASTY mouth type thing that opens up and you walk thru.. It's gross. But the shooting part is really great. Especally when you see humans and they are shaking and you kill them and say "sorry, it's better this way" that was pretty cool. Overall, If your into space creatures and don't mind the puss/flem looking things on the wall and stuff, it's a great game with great graphics. I only played the demo and once i did find when i turned the game off it felt a little dizzy.. weird.

Doom3-Ok here is a cool game where it brings be back to the old days of doom playing. The graphics all though now as good as prey, are extremely good. The creatures are not nasty looking at all in fact look like zombies or weired aliens. The shooting part was cool. The game runs a little dark though. Even though you have the flashlight somtimes it could be a little dark.. With all said down to the point, straight up shoot, kill, and find where your going... Good

My pick, Doom3. I can deal with the creatures. And look foward to getting farther in the game. I will continue playing the demo untill i get to where i can and then most likely purchase the game.

My itunes cards, i'm using to buy great songs from itunes store.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I got both games. Prey is my choice. Better performance, better graphics and sound, and better story. Doom 3 was a big letdown for me. I was expecting something better in terms of story and creatures, like outdoors environments and stuff like that.

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I think there are demos available, just try them.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

He did, 2 posts above you...

Doom 3 is a little dark. It's my only complaint about the game, but there are mods out there that "attaches" the torch to your gun.

Soon as I free up some HDD space I'm going to reinstall it :)

You should really play through the full Prey in the future though. The final section is absolutely crap and a huge let down after a very good mid section.

And avoid Quake 4. It starts off good but my God it gets poor about 25% in. The ending is more than terrible - it's a stain.

11. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick question. When i press tab to access my PDA in DOOM, while the PDA is going into the screen i see a lot of letters and numbers across the screen. Is that because it's the downloaded demo?

If i purchase the Game will it do that same thing or not because i will be installing the whole version? OR, is it because my computer is intel.

12. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I own both. Both great games. Get doom if you like to explore a little, and have more of a story. Prey is a little more simplistic. Prey has absolutely ZERO online play (at least for me). Doom 3 has a little though. Both have great graphics.

13. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

well i purchased doom3 Last night. Great Game!! When i first installed it, when i started it up, it would only play sound and no video. Then i went to the web site and installed the Patch for binary (i have intel chip) and it runs GREAT!

Specially since i double clicked it holding the Command key and it takes up my whole screen and the graphics are SICK(Good)!!!!

Anyway what is up with Doom requesting the dvd to play the game all the time? I don't like that. I want to be able to be installed on the computer. Period! I've been searching around and all i get is the No DVD patch or "crack" for .exe (windows).

Then there is talk about making it a .dmg, but then some work others don't.

Is there ANYONE in this WHOLE forum that owns a intel core 2 duo computer with the doom game that has made this game work without the need of inserting the dvd? Creating a image sounds kind of bulky.

Anyway, if you have please let me know via PM or here on this thread step by step because i would like to know.

BTW, my copy of Doom is an original purchased copy from the Apple store, and i have the copy of the receite to go with it. I do not plan on sharing, selling or copying my disk. This is mine and i only want to make my life easier. Thanks!

14. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

your in the same boat as me my friend. the patches dont work for Leopard. period...for now, until they release new ones.

So just use the disc

15. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

That's cool i guess i don't mind using the dvd now. I just thought it would be easier. I have read posts about making it a disk image and then mounting and blah blah blah. Anyway i can't be that lazy, i'll just pop the disk in. Thanks for your responds!