Prey Project

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kevometer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. kevometer macrumors newbie

anybody using this software?

does it drain your battery life??

2. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I have it installed, but haven't had to 'use' it yet, and I hope I never will.

That said, I haven't noticed it using any extra battery, or even affecting the processor in the slightest.

3. andrewpep macrumors newbie

Has Prey been updated for Lion yet? Or can anyone confirm it works properly?

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

As far as I can tell it works fine with Lion, and I haven't noticed any affect from it whatsoever.

5. andrewpep macrumors newbie

6. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Yes I use it, not had to use it yet thankfully. Works fine with lion.

7. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that all of these solutions give a 3rd party access to video from your webcam without your knowledge, and possibly your files as well.

I'm not saying don't use them but be aware of the possible negative consequences. The following story demonstrates it:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392193,00.asp

9. jesterscourt macrumors regular

I have Prey installed on a 2009 Macbook, a 2011 MBP, and my Android phone. Works fine on all of them. You can "test" them by reporting the device as missing on the website, and based on the threshold set for reporting (10, 20, 30 minutes, etc) it will start reporting back. It works great for our family's needs, however it will only do 3 devices per account, and it was start erasing reports after so long.

Yes, you need to be able to trust the Prey people with your data, but realize what they do and do not have access to, and you should be fine.

Also, as far as RAM/battery hit, I haven't noticed any change, and I have been running it for well over a year on the MB.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

did I try it

I think I might have tried this a while ago, but can't remember and now cannot figure out how to find out IF I installed it and if it is still on the computer? Is there a way to figure that out?