Price Advice Price check: Macbook Pro, Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by therealseebs, Sep 28, 2012.

1. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Macbook Pro: April 2010. 17", 1920x1200 matte screen (nvidia 330M), 8GB RAM, 256GB factory-shipped SSD, core i7 2.66Ghz. Pretty sure I can find the install media for it again. Battery life seems okay, power supply is fine. Also have a Henge dock for it. AppleCare through about April of 2013.

Macbook Air: January 2012. 13", core i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD. AppleCare until... I guess that'd be January 3, 2015?

Neither has any damage or cosmetic damage I can think of, except that the air's screen has faint keyboard marks on it, as they tend to do.

Looking for information about reasonable asking prices on these, since I am hoping to sell both once I have my stuff moved from them to my new late-2011 MBP. (I already have likely buyers, I just want to offer fair prices.) Tried to look them up, but everything I found for the MBP was in terms of the un-upgraded models; the extra memory isn't worth much, but the SSD was a fairly noticeable price increase.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Just curious, which late 2011 model did you pick up? I snagged the 15.4 in hires antiglare for $1599 at Microcenter. I'm putting in 16 GB of RAM and I'm adding a third party SSD later this year.

I thought about the 17 in model which was also available for a sweet discount, but it is just too big for my desk area. I've been using a 2008 Macbook so the screen seems huge to me now.

As for pricing, you can also use the Apple refurb store. They are still offering models of the vintage you are selling and quite a few of them are upgraded models. In fact the one I just bought new in box at MC was available in the Apple refurb store for $1799. I guess I got a nice deal. ;)

4. therealseebs thread starter macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Exactly that, except: (1) already upgraded the RAM and SSD (2) I got it for $1460 or so because it was an "open box".

I am not sure how much to discount for reduced lifespan of Apple Care, though. I can do pretty decently on the Air; I figure it's probably about $1k, give or take, maybe a little lower. But I'm much less clued about the MBP. I found a site that claimed to estimate values, and it said $875, but it didn't ask about any of the upgrades. Sixish months of remaining AppleCare isn't much, but it is probably worth a lot more than zero months.

----------

That last part is where I got stuck. I have no clue how much to adjust for the configuration.

Mac2Sell claims $2,380 for the MBP, but I don't believe them for a minute.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd suggest something like $1100-1200 USD for the 17" and $900 or so for the MBA.

Take a look at completed listing on eBay for the closest to your models that you can find and subtract 10-15% for fees, etc.

6. therealseebs thread starter macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Thanks. I ended up going with asking for $1250 for the 17" -- but that also includes a Henge dock for it. (Also, I was wrong, it's not a quad-core.)