Price check on aisle three

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aethelbert, Dec 24, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've been in the market lately for a new desktop as I have an old studio display that isn't getting used and I don't feel like forking over lots of money for a brand new computer when I don't need that kind of power. Today, I found a powermac G5 locally with the following for $920:

640gb (2x320) total disk space
    5gb ram
    dual 2.5
    Radeon 9600 pro 128mb
    dual-layer 8x superdrive

I emailed for pictures and the thing looks pretty pristine. It's running 10.3 but he's also including 10.4 and iLife 05. It comes in the original box with the pro keyboard and mouse. I've been missing some old classic apps since my powerbook crapped out earlier this year. So does this price sound reasonable or should I counter offer? I'm thinking that it does but I don't really know much about the mac desktop market these days and digging through ebay and craigslist has not proved helpful.

Thanks

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Dual superdrives? That sounds like a Mac Pro.

3. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Oops... I meant dual layer.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...with the dual hard drives, 5gb ram and upgraded superdrive it's not a bad deal. The fact that it's priced at $920 (a bit of an odd number) suggests the seller has a "bottom line" that is a little less, perhaps $900 or who knows. You could offer a *little* bit less and go from there but don't try to lowball too much - many sellers find that irritating and/or insulting...maybe $850 is a reasonable counter offer with $875 being the compromise...oh yeah!

5. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

The compromise came to $880 so I'm probably going with this. Bob Barker would be pretty happy with your estimate seeing as you didn't go over. Thanks.