Price check on iPhone (non 3G)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by California King, Aug 10, 2008.

1. California King macrumors 65816

I want to get an iPhone (non 3G) because I don't want to get tied down to a contract. How much should I reasonably pay on eBay? Non jailbroken would be fine because I can easily do that myself and new is preferred.

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

There aren't new first gen phones available because Apple does not sell them anymore. On top of that, first gen phone's stock value is rising again since the launch of 3G. Remember when its stock dropped at the announcement of 3G? Now it is back up and for good reasons.

Expect to pay around $300 or more for good condition phone.

3. twodollars macrumors member

There are a lot of new 1st gen iPhones on ebay for a number of reasons. I just got a new 4gig that was manufactured in July for warranty purposes.

I payed $400 though.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Base on the information given, the one you have is probably refurbished.

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if you were able to buy it online w/o signing anything? For example, you buy it through Apple.com and unlock it when you get it? Also, was the 8GB $400?

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I guess what I am saying means nothing.

Apple doesn't sell first gen phone anymore and they have no reason to.

7. twodollars macrumors member

If that's refurbished, then I am buying Apple refurbished for the rest of my life. Perfectly wrapped and spotless.

8. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Read what I wrote. I asked if people were able to buy it without signing a contract. I didn't say anything about being able to buy one now. Maybe I should have been more clear; sorry! I knew what you meant in your first post and thought I made it clear that I was looking for a price check of a 1st gen iPhone on eBay, not Apple!

9. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

You bought it before July 11th launch? Why are you guys talking in codes like anyone really care? Just say it straight out. They don't sell first gen phones anymore, only chance of getting a first gen phone from Apple is from warranty, and those phones are refurbished.

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Well you mentioned Apple.com on your 2nd post.

Anyhow, if you buy a locked iPhone and try to activate using even your AT&T sim card, iTunes will prompt you to renew a new 2 year contract. Price for 8gb is about $300...just do a simple search on eBay.

11. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it is obvious that I implied "when it was available"...and yes, I know I can do a search on eBay, but there are thousands of iPhones and was looking for a reasonable price check. Meaning what is the average price of one on eBay. :)

12. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I am still surprise by what people actually know.

So what you are saying is that I answered your question way back on my first response.

13. camonthemac macrumors newbie

I got a brand new one in the UK for £160 ($320). Snatched it at the last minute. bargain.

14. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i purchased an original iPhone off a friend of mine. (really got a great deal! $250 for a 16gb with warranty and pristine condition!) I had to sign a 2 year contract whenever i went to AT&T to get a sim card since i was previously with verizon. So i'm in a contract... but i can get an upgrade anytime. It confused me at first since verizon's contracts are associated with the phones and ATTs are associated with sim cards.

i think 4gb are selling for $300ish, 8gb $400ish, and 16gb $500ish.

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

For an 8GB iPhone in good condition, anywhere from $350 - $400.