Price Depreciation on old MBPs and a Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FYRR73, Apr 8, 2012.

  1. FYRR73 macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2012
    i'm waiting for the new MBP 2012 13", but in the meantime i do need a laptop for school. so i'm surfing my local forums and i found 2 2nd hand offers that interest me but i have no idea which is better.

    if i do buy any one of them, i intend to sell it and buy the new 2012 when it's out. (maybe 3-4mths from now)

    so i would like to find out which do you guys think is a better offer and how much do you think the price of theses will depreciate in 3-4 months time (especially when the 2012 model is out).

    and lastly, what should i be looking out for when considering the condition of the MBPs (other than aesthetics and battery cycles)

    1) Price in SGD 799 (approx. 630USD)
    2.4GHz C2D
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

    2) Price in SGD 1100 (approx 870USD)
    13" Macbook Pro Early 2011
    -i5 core 2.3Ghz
    -4GB Ram
    -320GB HDD
    -OSX Lion

    please consider the 300SGD difference instead since thats the real difference for me! :p
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Just buy the cheapest one. If you're only using it for a couple of months specs effectively do not matter, especially since any computer made in the last 5+ years will be able to do basic word processing, browsing, and iTunes perfectly fine.
  3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020


    Feb 16, 2012
    you really can't just wait? i would buy a cheap PC laptop till the release.
  4. FYRR73 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2012
    my laptop kinda died on me so i can't do school work on it, and i have an internship in june so yeah, i do need a laptop real soon.

    PC laptop is one alternative though, but i guess i'd prefer to get a MBP.


    thanks for the input. well my current laptop is older than that and definitely can't do any more than simple web browsing, even the frame rates would drop so badly on youtube videos... the battery life is so ****ed it can't even last more than 45mins!
  5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000


    Aug 14, 2009
    I'd buy the cheapest. It seems your older laptop was OK until it died, so either machine will meet your needs until you buy a new machine; and you'll have more money to spend on the new one.

    As for how much less the one you buy will be worth in 3-4 months, who knows? You'll be able to recoup some, if not all of your money, so the real question is how much is it worth to you to have a laptop until you buy a new one?
  6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020


    Feb 16, 2012
    "but i guess i'd prefer to get a MBP."

    wouldn't we all.:)
  7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 1, 2012
    New York
    I also agree, get the cheapest one. The cheaper one will serve you well and if your going to sell it anyway there is no point to invest a large sum and possible loose a chunk of money when you go to resell. Although the obvious choice is see if your old PC laptop will hang on a little while longer. Best of luck.
  8. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2011
    Essex, england
    Are you in the UK? Because I know a leasing company called hardsoft that allow you to lease machines for a certain amount of time. Google it and check it out. If not, then find some in the US that are similar as well.
  9. FYRR73 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2012
    well that's probably the most cost-efficient advice. my PC laptop is already 7+ years old, i guess that's way past the typical lifespan. thanks!

    i'm neither in the UK nor US. that's a pretty sweet service right there though.

    haha, i suppose that's the case for people on this forum.

Share This Page