Price difference between iPad and iPad pro is a bit wide

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Adelphos33, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#ipad-pro-10-5,ipad

True tone, laminated screen and stereo speakers are nice, but for the average buyer in the store, they aren't real differentiators. The processor and battery life seem to be similar across devices, and real word performance will likely be the same across the devices.

1) Shouldn't the iPad Pro be at least $100 cheaper?

2) How will Apple price a new iPad pro with Face ID, slim bezels, etc? $100 more than the current iPad Pro? That would be even more ridiculous

2. kt87 macrumors newbie

The good old days of iPads starting at $499...

3. Newtons Apple, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

They will sell a LOT of the new 2018 iPads just due to the price.

But for the one who wants more the Pro is still the way to go.

Apple is just giving us choices.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

The good old days of the latest and best iPhone starting at 599€ ... ;)

The price literally doubled

5. cardfan macrumors 68000

Short of OLED, I couldn't see buying an ipad pro over the entry ipad. Not for what i use it for, drawing, comics, etc. Those that say OLED is too expensive for Apple, welp, so is the ipad pro. The rumored ipad pro with face id? I so don't care about face ID on an ipad. Now if the ipad pro was more compatible with macs, different story..

6. kt87 macrumors newbie

I can somewhat justify the price increases with the iPhones though, as the technology got a lot better since the original iPhone...but the iPads have not made any huge leaps technologically IMO. Bigger screens, true tone display and thinner bezels are great, but I guess what more can you do for such a device.

7. hajime macrumors 601

Exactly! Even we view two apps at the same time, the experience is not as good as MBP.

8. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

You just have to shop smart. Microcenter periodically sells the 64gb iPad Pro 10.5 for $499

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

When summer rolls around and the new iPad Pro is launched, we'll know more. In addition to Face ID, Apple could do a few things to increase the value of the Pro:

• Increase display size to 11"
    • Increase base storage to 256 GB
    • Apple Pencil 2
    • Bundle Apple Pencil

10. ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
    Bundle with apple pencil. I assure you that’s not gonna happen.

11. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

When I was debating the iPad Pro 10.5 vs the regular iPad, last summer, the better screen, smoother scrolling, and Smart Keyboard support were reasons enough for me to pay the extra money and I'm not a graphics designer or anything like that. The iPad Pro is definitely a premium product with a premium price that most users won't need or care about. That's why it's got the "Pro" in the name and is more expensive. Sure, the gap has been closed a bit with the new iPad but it'll change over the summer when the next Pro is released.

Also keep in mind that you're doubling the storage when you go from the iPad to the iPad Pro. So, you need to take that into account when comparing the prices of the 2. Had I gone with the regular iPad, I would have needed to spend the extra money to get more storage whereas with the iPad Pro, the standard 64GB was enough.

12. phillyman macrumors newbie

I would appreciate some insight from people who currently own maybe a pro and a standard iPad. I wrecked my iPad air a couple of weeks ago and have been limping towards a Spring event. I was of course hoping that we might even get an early iPad pro update. I didn't necessarily "need" pencil support and had I not broken my old device I would have stuck with it.

I agree with the original poster, the price difference seems high. In fairness I would have paid pro prices if they had updated it now. But paying pro prices for a nine month device seems a bit much. Do you feel the screen is that much better and sound makes such a significant difference in day to day use? I mostly use it for reading newspapers, some games and as a quick reference device when it comes to scores etc. I'll also shop and browse on websites. I like to text and read emails as well. Fairly basic stuff. I'll use it while traveling to watch a couple of movies etc and when in the gym I might watch a live stream .

As for the new Face ID, that does not appeal to me (might have with multiple user profiles). For any "real" work I much prefer a laptop. Maybe I'm just old school but being able to adjust the screen angle and having a full size keyboard plus a mouse is much faster and comfortable (word, excel, powerpoint and work applications). But hey for my main computer I also still have an iMac for ergonomic reasons more than anything else!

I'm inclined to say that I don't see a reason to upgrade for regular use from the iPad to the Pro. Is it similar to desktop macs where an iMac is more than enough for most users? Not like in the past where you had to have a tower (g3, g4) just that the computer could last for three to five years and not slow down to a crawl.

Thanks for any and all insights. Sorry if I hijacked this thread, I just didn't feel it was worth another thread.

13. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I own a 10.5 pro and I’m sure it is a superior device but if I was today I wouldn’t be able to justify the difference over the normal one.
    The new iPad looks like a great deal.

14. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

We have the following devices in active use in the household:
    iPad Air 2 (A8X)
    iPad Pro 9.7 (A9X)
    iPad 5th gen (A9)
    iPad Pro 12.9 (A10X)

Quite frankly, for general usage (web browsing, email, video streaming, etc), there's no significant difference among the four. Note though, I do have ProMotion disabled on the Pro 12.9 as the other iPads (and my iPhone 7) do feel a bit laggy/not as smooth as the 12.9 if I let myself get used to ProMotion.

15. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

It is kinda strange how for the longest time, ipads and iphones kept improving every year with new features, but stayed at basically the same price as the year before. Now suddenly, ever since the “pro” ipads and the iphone x...Apple has decided to charge more every year for those new features. I always thought the apple pencil should work on every ipad, but it seemed like Apple wanted to justify the cost of the ipad pros, so they made it exclusive to the pros for the first couple of years. Now that the regular ipad can use the apple pencil...it just makes the whole “pro” moniker and over $1,000 price point kinda silly. Yes, the pro ipads still have more features...but enough to justify a price jump 4x higher than the new regular ipad? Thats kind of ridiculous in my opinion. And if Apple charges even more for the next bezel-less ipad pros coming at wwdc...its gonna be even more ridiculous.

16. Adelphos33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The bold here is the key. I use my iPad Pro for split screen work (usually MS Word and Safari) all the time, and it is 100% worth having for that. But for general use, I don’t see the advantage, especially with the big price gap

17. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

I’d say the new iPad and old Pro are not a fair comparison. Right now, the Pro is too expensive IMO. When the new version launches, that might change a little, depending on what it will bring.

I’d really love to be able switch to iPad completely. In that case I would definitely get a Pro that has all the greatest features. As a ‘gadget’ on the side, the cheap iPad is great already.

18. Richard8655, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

The price difference is wide, mostly because there’s a segment that will always pay whatever it takes to get the “best”. No matter how much better it is. That’s a very profitable segment for Apple.

19. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think the gap will get bigger later this year if they release the rumoured iPad Pro with a redesign and Face ID, what features they will add i'm not sure but there will be something to make that gap wider especially now that they have brought Apple Pencil support to the new entry level iPad.

In terms of the cost it all comes down to if you think those features are worth it, i really like the Promotion on the iPad Pro and since i use mine everyday i think it's well worth it.

20. pika2000 macrumors 601

Apple expects regular people to buy the 2018 iPad. Apple intentionally put the price gap to focus their customer segments. Those who are value conscious will pick the 2018 iPad instead of being confused. It’s smart marketing. If you think the Pro is too expensive, then you are the exact target market of the 2018 iPad.

If you want to complain, look at the mini 4. It is running a 4 year old SoC without pencil support yet its starting price is higher than the 2018 iPad. Now that one makes no sense.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Before we jump to conclusions, because we're comparing a 2018 iPad with a 2017 iPad, lets see how apple updates the IPP. I agree that the justification for the 10.5 is harder now that apple udated the 9.7.

tbh, had I held off on buying my iPP last year, I'd find it hard to justify the higher price. I do like the 10.5 form factor, though I don't know if its worth the higher price just for that.

I have zero buyers remorse, because I've enjoyed using my iPad Pro for nearly a year and it was the best product to fit my needs back when I was making the purchase.

22. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

It's like they completely forgot it existed. I mean, it didn't receive an update, but to keep the price that high is very unusual.

23. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Given my storage requirements, the Pros are pretty much my only options. That said, I certainly wouldn't want to pay full price for a 512GB LTE Pro 10.5 at this point in time (cellular models don't seem to get discounted unless it's a contract deal). I'm sure I'd be hit with buyer's remorse not waiting an extra 3-6 months to see what the newer model brings. Around this time last year, I was itching to get a 12.9" iPad, too. Just couldn't stomach paying $1,229 for the 1st gen 256GB LTE. Thank goodness WWDC introduced the 2nd gen Pros so I didn't have to wait until Oct/Nov.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2018 ---
    Note, the mini 4 does have a fully laminated display (similar to Air 2) unlike the $329 iPad. I expect the new iPad would also be $399 if it came with fully laminated display.

24. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Having had a original ipad, an ipad air 2, and i owned an ipad pro 12.9" I just really enjoy the multitasking of having 2 screens open at once while i was in school and just at home browsing. the main selling point for me was the 12.9" screen and the acceptance of the apple pencil. I was able to use it daily in school for taking my notes and it was the only thing that i had to take with me to class on a daily basis as opposed to 3-4 binders, notebooks, macbook and so on. So I truly love it for the pencil and just the extra functions

25. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

I can't live without True Tone anymore. A regular display will hurt my eyes. So it means a lot to me. Laminated display? Have you ever touched the iPad (2017) display? It feels like cheap plastic. Makes all the difference for a pleasant experience. Plus, there are other differences, big ones, such as the cameras. I think the price difference is justifiable. Just as a side note, I hope they don't bring that bezel-less madness to the iPad... God forbid!