Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cheapipad.jpg

Apple has lowered the price of a refurbished entry-level 16GB iPad 1 to $299.

The price seems to have been dropped this weekend and is the lowest price we've seen for an iPad direct from Apple. All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

This weekend HP slashed the price of its now-cancelled TouchPad tablet to $99 in order to clear stock in the wake of its corporate reorganization. By all accounts the TouchPad has been selling extremely well at that heavily reduced price point. Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make.

Thanks Ronald!

Article Link: Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299

matbook101

macrumors 6502
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has lowered the price of a refurbished entry-level 16GB iPad 1 to $299.

The price seems to have been dropped this weekend and is the lowest price we've seen for an iPad direct from Apple. All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

This weekend HP slashed the price of its now-cancelled TouchPad tablet to $99 in order to clear stock in the wake of its corporate reorganization. By all accounts the TouchPad has been selling extremely well at that heavily reduced price point. Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make.

Thanks Ronald!

Article Link: Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299

Wow. Actually that's nice i'll probably get one for "at-home" iPad. You know to sit by the tv with the apple tv. It'll look good.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Don't they all come with an aluminum outer shell?

This statement is saying that the refurbished products get a new aluminum body. Especially since a new part number (and I assume new serial number) is laser etched on the aluminum.

Where as if you get a refurb from other companies, many times it is the same "shell" with a fixed interior (if that is even needed).

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well that's not a bad price for a almost-new iPad. :) Personally I wouldn't mind Apple selling more than one revision of the iPad at a time, similar to how the iPhone 3GS is still being sold.

I can envision an iPad 2 for $399 and an iPad 3 for $499. At least that's just my two cents... selling the original for $199 or $249 would do really well. I myself bought (or tried to buy) an HP TouchPad simply to use as an interactive photo frame for my Grandmother, purely because of the price.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
LOL. Oh Apple. You can't stand for the media spotlight to be on someone else for a SECOND!

duk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
"Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make"

Not true, I was out shopping this weekend, and every store I was in had an abundance of all models of ipad 2 sitting in the display case. Best buy, target and walmart all had plenty of unsold stock sitting on the shelf.

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas

Not true, I was out shopping this weekend, and every store I was in had an abundance of all models of ipad 2 sitting in the display case. Best buy, target and walmart all had plenty of unsold stock sitting on the shelf.
And do you know exactly how long they have been sitting there?

I know just about every store that carries the iPad 2 in my area hardly had any in stock due to overwhelming demand.

Glial

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Haughton, LA

Hence, they have been sold by Apple to "Best buy, target and walmart"

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009

Admittedly every outlet doesn't have people lined up waiting for the next shipment to head for the shelf.

There's a difference between "a shipment came in and will be gone in a few days" vs. "they've been sitting there a while and we're concerned shelf-space costs are eating into our potential profit". Ask 'em how long that "plenty of unsold stock" has been sitting on the shelf.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The original iPad is still three times as expensive as the HP TouchPad.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

Apple obsolete devices are outselling the competition's current ones (and in some cases their best effort.) Take the 3GS, for example.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
You guys are not taking into consideration how many Refurbished 16GB iPads Apple had in the inventory right? I doubt there were many remaining, unless the failure rate of iPads is high.. Refurbished as you know are generally ones that were defective or returned..

So long story short, the Touchpad sold in about 2 days ? and Best Buy alone had 270,000 in the inventory, god knows how many were produced..

I don't think its fair to say that Apple sold any quicker, at least not without knowing how many Apple had in its inventory..

I honestly think for $99 HP Touchpad must have sold quicker, you can't even get a netbook for $99, its an amazing price for a product like that..

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
oh great, my dad's going to be bugging me about this. He wont buy it, he will just talk about buying it for a couple of months :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.