Price drop comin with refresh?

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I was holding off on buying a MacBook Pro because the 2016 models were too expensive and people made the 2015 one seem really outdated. Since Apple might refresh them in June, do you guys think a price drop will also happen? Has Apple historically dropped the price on the first refresh of a remodeled Mac?

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
I was holding off on buying a MacBook Pro because the 2016 models were too expensive and people made the 2015 one seem really outdated. Since Apple might refresh them in June, do you guys think a price drop will also happen? Has Apple historically dropped the price on the first refresh of a remodeled Mac?
Nothing significant. You'd probably do better with a refurb from Apple.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The 2016 will drop in price when they announce the 2017. :)

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I'm an idiot. :)

2016 Refurb will drop.
That's good, I didn't really want the base model 13 inch with only 2 ports but that was really the only one I could afford but if the TouchBar MBP is $1300 - $1500 I may buy that.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Early reports suggested the non-touchbar model pricing will decrease. However, this was made when the MacBook Air was considered a goner. Now, it appears the MacBook Air may get a refresh - leaving it in place as Apple's low-cost workhorse. With this information, plus information on increasing NAND prices, plus presumably good sales of the current models, plus there already being frequent sales of $200-400 off the 2016 models, I do not think price decreases are likely.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I could see the Touch Bar version dropping in price, especially if they get rid of the non-Touch Bar models. I'm pretty sure they dropped the price on the retina models in early 2013, so it's not unheard of, but probably more likely once the whole line moves to Touch Bar. That probably won't be until late this year or early next year, if I had to guess.

Reactions: jb-net

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Considering shipping estimates are still based on the current pricing, aligning with delivery of the new spec bumps for next week announcements, I would say no, don't expect a price drop at all.

NathanD

macrumors member
May 15, 2017
Italy
When Apple released the rMBP in 2012 the 13" base model cost 1699$. After a few months in February 2013 they introduced the updated version with a lower price (1499$) and the same thing happened again in October 2013. So I'd say yes, it's possibile that we'll see a price drop, and I do hope so.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
i think the base model 13" nTB will go down to $1299. But if that happens, I wonder how Apple will handle their refurb prices for the 2016 base model 13". It's currently at $1269. Guess we'll know in six days.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
So apparently the Coffee Lake cpus are 30% more powerful than Kaby Lake so I'm scared I'm going to buy a MBP that's already outdated and I really can't wait longer. What should I do?

NathanD

macrumors member
May 15, 2017
Italy
So apparently the Coffee Lake cpus are 30% more powerful than Kaby Lake so I'm scared I'm going to buy a MBP that's already outdated and I really can't wait longer. What should I do?
I think Coffee Lake CPUs (or at least the ones that Apple uses) won't be available this year so you'd have to wait until 2018. If you need a new MBP now then buy it.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
There was a time when with each new release you would get better performance for the same price. More recently apple will do things like making 8gb of ram the base in some laptops while not adding to the price.

Maybe their current strategy is more in line with what they did to the Mini. Lower the price, but give you less. I may be wrong, but the days of getting more for less seems be gone.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Since Apple might refresh them in June, do you guys think a price drop will also happen?
I certainly hope so!

Has Apple historically dropped the price on the first refresh of a remodeled Mac?
Yes, once in a while when they release some new tech thats more expensive to manufacture they rise the prices. But there would usually be a price drop afterwards as the process becomes more mature.

Garrett998

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
I am hoping for a $100 price drop at least for the TB models, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing/specs remain the same minus the change of CPU to Kaby Lake.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Some of this isn't exactly certain - Intel now faces a serious problem posed by AMD and all of a sudden find themselves having to justify their prices. They will, as any smart company, lean heavily on marketing.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
How are you getting the 30% more powerful? Coffee Lake still uses the 14 nm process like Kaby Lake. The top end units will support 6 execution threads, but that only matters if you run applications that can take advantage of the extra threads. For other apps, it will probably be a minor upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.