Price drop in current MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OUwantsome, Aug 11, 2008.

1. OUwantsome macrumors newbie

Does anyone anticipate a price drop in the current generation MBs? I'm new to the Mac scene and not sure, historically, what the price trends have been before major upgrades.

Would have no problem buying a current MB but if price will drop before the (supposed) September upgrade, I would wait for the price drop or the upgrade.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Typically new models come in at the current price point, and Apple shifts old stock to the refurb store, where they are available at a discount. Check out the refurbs if you're looking for a deal.

Also, Apple has been known to drop prices in the past. Just don't count on it.

3. jroller macrumors regular

4. OUwantsome thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean Apple will send never-used units of older inventory to the refurb store?

5. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Usually when retailers are notified of new models on the horizon, they will drop the price on Apple products by a maximum of $50. They go on sale only when new models are on the way. Future Shop I've noticed does this on iPods, MacBooks, iMacs, all the Apple products they sell go thru this sale before new products are released.

6. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

It is Refurb/Clearance store

7. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

The next revision we could see a price drop. However, it will be minimal and would probably be like having a student discount. eg. Macbook original $1149 drop to $1049. $100 difference! Prices are based in Canada, eh!

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i think there is a high likelyhood of a price drop for all products. Apple mentioned on their call they will have lower margins going forward, indicating possible price drops. I am expecting to see $999 macbook (and thats w.o any discounts). Dont expect many current version macs to go to the refurb store. Apple will begin to ramp down production..you will see some..not ALOT though.

Apple knows the time is NOW. Attack Dell/HP/Acer. They know the average person thinks of apple as really expensive and elite. Apple will lower prices slightly and try to expand their market share.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

usually not right away and it's not unusual for "new" older models never to appear in the clearance department as Apple also seems to sell them to resellers at a discount