Price Drop on 64gb iPod Touch Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DocDoom, Dec 23, 2009.

  1. DocDoom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    #1
    I read in some post that theres going to be a price drop on the 64gb touch. Anyone know if this is true. Considering this should i wait to get a Touch, or just buy it now?
     
  2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    #2
    if i were you i would wait until at least mid February which is only about a month and a half away. They can make 128GB iPod touches now and it's plausible that it'll come out in February based on events in the past (although it only happened once in the past in February 08). If they do come out with a 128GB iPod touch in February most likely the prices of the others will drop.
     
  3. Plutonius macrumors 603

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #3
    If you want it now, buy it. The only way Apple will reduce the 64G price is when a new model is introduced. If you look back through the old post, people were stating absolutely the a new iPod Touch (with camera) would be released weeks after the 64g iPod Touch was released. These same people absolutely claimed that a new iPod Touch would be out before Christmas and now they are claiming that it will be in February (since it's almost Christmas).

    Nobody knows the real answer except Apple so take anything as a best guess. My best guess is that the updates will be in the normal fall update.
     
  4. Muncher macrumors 65816

    Muncher

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #5
    I don't see a 128GB touch happening for a little while. Apple likes their profit margins nice and fat and I imagine they're fairly expensive right now.
     
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Maybe not 128 GBs in Spring, but I do think it's likely Apple may discontinue the old 8 GB model and introduce a current-gen 16 GBs along with the current 64 GBs at shuffled-down price points.
     
  6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #7
    Will prices drop? Absolutely. Memory can only be doubled so many times before it becomes pointless, and that makes me think we'll never see a 128gb Touch. There will likely be a new tablet to take over the $399 price point (OK, maybe $499) and the current Touch line can survive with hardware enhancements (camera, FM or HD radio, etc.) to stay fresh.
     
  7. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    #8
    not all of the updates come out in the fall. in 2008 the 32GB iPod touch came out in February. However when that happened a price drop didn't happen. the new 32GB iPod was just $100 more than the 16GB (this is also when they started selling 3 different iPod touches rather than 2). if they do come out with a 128GB iPod touch in February (i'm not saying anything about a camera, only a memory upgrade) i think it will take the price of the 64GB, the 64GB and 32GB price will drop, and they will completely stop making the 8GB because i don't think they'll sell 4 different iPod touches though i could be wrong.

    but of course as you said, nobody can be sure but could it really hurt waiting a month and a half?
     
  8. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

    Black Belt

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #9
    Magic 8 Ball says wait Jobs out. Don't be a sucker.
     
  9. Plutonius macrumors 603

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #10
    After you wait 1.5 months and it doesn't come out, people will say to wait another 1.5 months since you are getting nearer the refresh date. People have to make their own decisions on when to buy but, if you only listen to people who say wait to buy, you will never end up buying :).
     
  10. na1577 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #11
    There's no indication that Apple will drop the prices anytime soon. Buy now.
     
  11. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    #12
    Ah. I see your point of view now. I was thinking that you wait 1.5 months and if it's not out then, then you buy it. But thinking about it, like you said people will just keep telling you to wait and wait and you never end up buying it. So now that I've looked at it from a different perspective I say buy it now.
     
  12. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

    Black Belt

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #13
    Don't listen to the schills trying to help Jobs dump inventory. Do the smart thing and wait for the better version.
     

Share This Page