Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcal0820

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
With all the rumors and speculations of when the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, finally comes out, can we expect a BIG price drop for 4S models across all carriers?? I'm looking at key features on iOS 6, most of which the 4S model should run perfectly, so would look at that option, and maybe finally dump my Android on Verizon.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
With all the rumors and speculations of when the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, finally comes out, can we expect a BIG price drop for 4S models across all carriers?? I'm looking at key features on iOS 6, most of which the 4S model should run perfectly, so would look at that option, and maybe finally dump my Android on Verizon.

There won't be a HUGE price drop on the 4s. On the iPhone 4.. maybe. but not the 4s.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
If Apple follows the trend, when the next iPhone is released, the iPhone 4S will be moved down to the $99 (with contract) spot and the iPhone 4 will be available for free.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You only have Apple's history to use as the basis for a prediction, but thus far, there's never been a HUGE price drop on "last years' model" of any iPhone upon release of its successor.

Although I suppose it depends on how you define "Huge." *

*Pre-empting all the "That's what she said!" comments with this footnote. :p

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Not sure - but I thought the $99 also halved the storage too. So yes a 50% price drop which is pretty huge in terms of percentage but also a 50% drop in storage too.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
The question is: what will be the models still sold after next autumn refresh.

Another big question: has Apple interest to still sell devices not able to run every services (Siri, Map, etc.) of iOS6?

If the screen changes such that the resolution is different to actual retina iPhones, you can consider the 3GS will disappear, to avoid fragmentation of iPhones in use,
and adding the fact the 3GS hardware will probably not be able to run on the 2013 iOS iteration, Apple will probably not sell a device becoming obsolete the next year.

Now, is the iPhone 4 so different to the 3GS internally, in term of performances (not considering the screen)?
Has Apple interest in stilll maintaining production of iPhone 4 and 4S, while a new iPhone with different process is also in production?

While Apple needs low cost phones to sell as the 3GS is now,
i still can imagine they maybe will sell beside the new iPhone only a 4S (retina 960x640, antennas ok, 3G only, full iOS6) with only 8Go, and make it as cheap as possible.

jcal0820

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
4S or Nexus phone

I'm currently on military deployment overseas, and hope to be back home, stateside in Cali, by maybe end of Oct.?... and by then, a slew of choices on new devices, and iPhone 5? I have a contract with Verizon on military deployment hold, and will reactivate once I get back. I saw that a 32GB iPhone 4S goes for $299 with 2 year extended contract right now. If it sells for at least half that by the time I return, then I would seriously consider getting it, and dumping my old Droid X that's sitting in the bottom of my duffle bag since I got here. Using mostly my 3rd gen iPod these days.

Or, if the deal is not just right, maybe try out the Galaxy Nexus phone, since it'll have Jelly Bean 4.1, and maybe a price drop of its own since so many more Samsung phones are coming on the market. Galaxy Nexus w/ 2 year renewal contract on Verizon is $149, and if that drops to $99 by late Oct., I'm seriously putting that on the top of my list.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm currently on military deployment overseas, and hope to be back home, stateside in Cali, by maybe end of Oct.?... and by then, a slew of choices on new devices, and iPhone 5? I have a contract with Verizon on military deployment hold, and will reactivate once I get back. I saw that a 32GB iPhone 4S goes for $299 with 2 year extended contract right now. If it sells for at least half that by the time I return, then I would seriously consider getting it, and dumping my old Droid X that's sitting in the bottom of my duffle bag since I got here. Using mostly my 3rd gen iPod these days.

Or, if the deal is not just right, maybe try out the Galaxy Nexus phone, since it'll have Jelly Bean 4.1, and maybe a price drop of its own since so many more Samsung phones are coming on the market. Galaxy Nexus w/ 2 year renewal contract on Verizon is $149, and if that drops to $99 by late Oct., I'm seriously putting that on the top of my list.

If Apple does what they have been doing, there will not be a 32GB iPhone 4S after the next iPhone is unveiled.

Here is the most likely scenario once the new iPhone is released (based all on prior history):

32GB Newest iPhone for $299
16GB Newest iPhone for $199
8GB iPhone 4S for $99
8GB iPhone 4 for $49/(Maybe free?)

The 3GS will be discontinued.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If Apple does what they have been doing, there will not be a 32GB iPhone 4S after the next iPhone is unveiled.

Here is the most likely scenario once the new iPhone is released (based all on prior history):

8GB iPhone 4S for $99

sounds exactly right to me

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

What you will see though, for a very brief period, is carriers dropping the prices on their existing iPhone 4S stock to clear it out. So if the timing is right, you could land a 32 or 64GB 4S at a price way lower than current MSRP, if you buy before ethers snatch them up.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
(based all on prior history)
no. based only on what happened last year.

with your pattern, you would have seen iPhone 3G still selling after iPhone 4 launch, and before, original iPhones when the 3GS was launched.
The 4S is to the 4 what the 3GS was for the 3G, an internal upgrade with tweaks on hardware.

and with your prediction, what about selling an iPhone 4 not able to run Siri and all the new Map app features, used by Apple as key features of its next phone OS? not likely.

If the resolution change with the next iPhone, Apple would probably have interest in favorising adoption of the new iPhone over any previous model.
Keeping only an expensive (while still cheaper than now) 4S could help for the transition.

Last edited:

jcal0820

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
What you will see though, for a very brief period, is carriers dropping the prices on their existing iPhone 4S stock to clear it out. So if the timing is right, you could land a 32 or 64GB 4S at a price way lower than current MSRP, if you buy before ethers snatch them up.

On this note, what about refurbished 4S models flooding the market once the 'new' iPhone comes out?? Haven't been following the trends, but has this happened after the prior iPhone releases?? If so, and if I can pick up a 'pre-owned' Verizon iPhone 4S on Amazon or such sites for a great deal, that'll be my first choice... and the model I choose will have to be 32GB, that's the sweet spot, nothing more, nothing less.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Not sure - but I thought the $99 also halved the storage too. So yes a 50% price drop which is pretty huge in terms of percentage but also a 50% drop in storage too.

It will be interesting to see because that was the story in the past, Apple should move the 4 to Free at 8GB, and the 4S would go to $99 for 8GB, but I am thinking the days of 8GB should soon be over, and the new standard will be 32 GB Base, 64 GB Middle and ? Something larger maybe 128 GB.

Let's face it, 8GB does not let you do much, especially since you only have 6.4 GB free after the OS. A friend of mine bought a 4 to save money, but she is forever having to remove photos of her two little kids because there is not enough space. I tell everyone to just spend the extra $99 and get a 4S 16GB it will go a long way later on, especially that the 4 will soon be going end of life, the 4S offers more stuff.

I imagine Apple will increase the size of their phones each year, bc the camera takes larger photos, they do not offer an SD like option

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
no. based only on what happened last year.

with your pattern, you would have seen iPhone 3G still selling after iPhone 4 launch, and before, original iPhones when the 3GS was launched.
The 4S is to the 4 what the 3GS was for the 3G, an internal upgrade with tweaks on hardware.

and with your prediction, what about selling an iPhone 4 not able to run Siri and all the new Map app features, used by Apple as key features of its next phone OS? not likely.

If the resolution change with the next iPhone, Apple would probably have interest in favorising adoption of the new iPhone over any previous model.
Keeping only an expensive (while still cheaper than now) 4S could help for the transition.

Maybe. But we can only predict based on what Apple has done. They have gotten to that point where they have enough adequate models to fill a huge price range.

I'm confident they will keep the iPhone 4 around at a lower price point (like what they are doing with the 3GS currently).

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I imagine Apple will increase the size of their phones each year, bc the camera takes larger photos
loool this has to be the funniest reason i ever read for why they'd have to do that.

And about the lack of memory card, lol, you can forget about it.
Heard about iCloud and photo sharing services? that's their bet on the future.

----------

we can only predict based on what Apple has done.
why?
think different ;=)

ok, with your logic, given the 2 years cycle Apple appears to follow (1 year externally, 1 year internally), then you'd have to say they will do like when they introduced the iPhone 4 new design/screen: only sell a cheaper 3GS.
And so, here, only a 4S beside the new model.
no?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
loool this has to be the funniest reason i ever read for why they'd have to do that.

And about the lack of memory card, lol, you can forget about it.
Heard about iCloud and photo sharing services? that's their bet on the future.

----------

why?
think different ;=)

ok, with your logic, given the 2 years cycle Apple appears to follow (1 year externally, 1 year internally), then you'd have to say they will do like when they introduced the iPhone 4 new design/screen: only sell a cheaper 3GS.
And so, here, only a 4S beside the new model.
no?

You're thinking about it wrong. You can't just compare what they did two years ago, and then ignore what they are currently doing.

Trust me, Apple will have the iPhone 4 available as the low-cost iPhone. Last year, Tim C. mentioned that how they desire to reach more customers with a lower-cost option; everyone speculated they would make a cheaper iPhone, but instead they just kept the 2 year-old 3GS as that solution.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Trust me, Apple will have the iPhone 4 available as the low-cost iPhone. Last year, Tim C. mentioned that how they desire to reach more customers with a lower-cost option; everyone speculated they would make a cheaper iPhone, but instead they just kept the 2 year-old 3GS as that solution.

Yes, but it doesn't say it is the better way to do it:
Has Apple interest in stilll maintaining production of iPhone 4 and 4S, while a new iPhone with different process is also in production?
economy of scale ... what costs more for a low cost iPhone? massive production of 1 model or producing 2 different models?
You could answer me then why didn't they follow this logic last year? well, they maybe were not able to produce the 4 cheap enough.
If you think they are able to produce a cheap 4, why would it be so different to produce a 4S? again, it costs probably less to command n chips and parts for only one model than p+q(=n) for 2 different models

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
You're thinking about it wrong. You can't just compare what they did two years ago, and then ignore what they are currently doing.

Agree with this, especially now they are getting into the pre paid market, I am sure they will add a few million more devices in this market over time.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Depending on how the new (leaked) design is viewed by the general public, used 4Ss may be going for a premium come October.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities

8GB iPhone 4S for $99

Yes, the writing is on the wall for the 3GS. I'm still using one, and it's still a great phone, but doesn't compare to the screen of the newer models or the overall feel/usability of the 4S, to compare apples to apples.

$99 for an upgrade to a 4S would be alright by me. Bring it on!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

With the launch of the iPhone 4, Apple started selling the previous model iPhone for 1/2 of what it was being sold for (contract price) before. This means what was $200 is now $100. Bear in mind they have also historically cut the storage size down. They sell one model, 8GB, from thereon out. 16GB, 32GB, and with the launch of the 4S, 64GB, are reserved for the current generation unit.

Will they do this again? I'd say it's a safe bet, but nothing is certain until Apple goes public.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
The current price of the Iphone 4 is the price the 4s will be and the 4 will be the same price as the 3gs is.

Iphone 4s=100 bucks, 200, 300
Iphone 4= free

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The existing 4S stock (16gb, 32gb, 64gb) will all get $50 off at Apple. New 4S model (8Gb) will cost $99.

The 4 8Gb will move to $0.

The 3GS will no longer be for sale, used to replace only for parts or warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.