Price drop on refurb iPads after refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuebby, Feb 24, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

So I looked around the forum and google but didn't find a satisfactory answer.

I'm planning on buying an iPad in the very near future, probably after March 2nd, just to see what the refresh brings, but if it is what seems to be predicted then I'll go with an iPad 1, not 2. I'm more interested in getting a good deal then the absolute latest.

I just wanted to know about how much the price of Apple refurbs will drop on the 16 or 32 GB Wi-Fi version. Also, will it drop right after the announcement or not until it actually ships?

(Obviously I know there's no way to say for sure but there's plenty of precedent in situations like this, with new iPod touches, MacBooks, etc.)

2. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

They may not drop much. The 16GB WiFi model, for example, first appeared in the refurb store at $459. Around Christmas last year, they dropped to $429, which was listed as a "special limited time price", and have been there ever since. They show all the WiFi models as between 14-16% off. The Mini, Macbook, MBAs, and most iMacs are all around 15% off. I do notice that the MBPs are now listed at 20-30% off and some even more. They also have a last gen Mac Mini server showing 25% off.

What does all this mean? I have no idea. They don't have as much room to drop the price on the lower end iPads, so you probably won't see the 30% off. If they do anything extra, it will probably be around 20-25% vs. the current 15%.