Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I just wanted to point out that since I last checked the price on the refurbished TBD, which was maybe about a month ago, the price has dropped from $849 to $829.

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but for someone who is looking forward to a refresh of the display it could be good news.

errantpixel

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
They also removed the new displays from In Store Pickup availability overnight. I had one in my cart and it was removed.

Not just that store either, you just can't select in-store pickup for it anymore at all.

I was going to pick one up today, but now I'm not so sure -- might give it a week.

Edit: Never mind, must have been the morning inventory jitters at the apple store, it's back in stock for pickup.

Last edited:

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I just saw that. It's very tempting, but I also wonder whether a new Thunderbolt display is imminent, despite the lack of rumors. Presumably it will have USB 3.0 ports, which might be worth the price premium of a new display. I'm doubtful whether we'll see Retina just yet, but if we do, and the price doesn't go up much, then the new model will really be worth it.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I tend to think we won't see a new ATD until all Apple products support USB3 (and in the case of the Mac Pro: Thunderbolt) and all the laptops are on MagSafe 2.

A USB3 scanner or game controller doesn't really need USB3, so you could plug them into the USB2 ports on the ATD (along with other USB2 devices you may have) and then use the USB3 ports on the computer for devices like HDDs that can make use of the bandwidth. And if you need more than what the computer has, you can use a USB3 hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.