Price drop on refurbished models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Monkeychemist, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Monkeychemist macrumors member

Do you guys think there will be a price drop? I am looking at getting an 11in C2D for my wife. I am loving my 2011 MBA and think she would find it a HUGE jump from the crappy netbook she has now.

That being said, currently on Apple's website they are about $900 for a C2D 2gb/128gb.... that's a little steep for an old model.

Thank you

2. Xikum macrumors 6502

I wouldn't imagine so, why would they suddenly drop the prices?

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Netbook? :eek: Your wife deserves an upgrade ... go for it ... happy wife = happy life :cool:

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Steep?

Maybe for you, but for better graphics? Not so much!:D;)

5. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

well I was hoping that by now the prices would have dropped to $600-700. That's a little more reasonable.

Has anyone seen any of the 2011 on the refurbished store? Maybe when those go up the prices of the old will drop...?

6. iaymnu macrumors 6502

$600-700 is like craigslist pricing. 2010 MBA won't drop to that price @ the refurb store.

7. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Dude, go to eBay, you'll find a way better deal. I've been monitoring them for about a month now, as I just purchased one for myself. I just got the 4GB/128GB/1.6GHz with over 6 months of warranty still left on it for 780.00, and it's in perfect condition! Go there and keep watch, and you will find a good deal. Right after I bought mine, I found another one, exact same specs, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...pple_Laptops&hash=item3f0f4af36e#ht_500wt_950

But make sure there is still warranty!! :cool:

8. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! I'll check those out

9. vader_slri macrumors regular

The 2010 11" base (64GB/2GB) is sometimes available in the refurb store at $699. It sells out very quickly though.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

It probably should also be said that a refurb from Apple is essentially a brand-new and heavily tested and perfectly working computer/device and anything off of eBay or Craigslist...well...you take your chances certainly.:(

Refurbed items, while cheaper will never be as cheap as the deals your can get from those other sources, but you truly get what you pay for.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I bought my wife a 11", i5, 128Gb, somethings are best not to go cheap on ;)

12. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure that's entirely necessary... The C2Ds have PLENTY enough power to run all she needs. In fact it would have been fine for my work as well but I am a fanboy and had to get the new one. I sorta regret it because the fan is so freaking loud! I should have gone with C2D...

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You are missing the point, it`s not what the computer is capable of accomplishing, or the usage. It`s about saying "your not second" hand me downs, and last years model just dont send the same message, my wife was absolutely overjoyed her first new Mac, unopened, untouched and her use is purely social.

The price difference between the CD2 and the i5 128GB is not overwhelming, and I rather suspect the i5 11" will very much ease the purchase of a new 15" MacBook Pro once Apple release a major update, replacing my 15" 4.1 MBP, although this is not the agenda, What`s good enough for me, is good enough for my wife, and she very much appreciated the gesture ;)

b.t.w. We have two 2011 Air`s and neither have loud fans, unless they are highly stressed.

14. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

well, not all of us have that kind of luxury. The $300 difference is a big deal to us and as long as she has something better than this crappy, awful netbook, she will be overjoyed...

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Your finances are your personal business; personally if $300 was a big issue to me I would not have a new 2011 Air now, nor would my wife. A refurbished 2010 would be the safest bet, full Apple warrantee, and no worries about previous use fluid ingress etc...

16. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

I'm gonna get a C2D 2gb/128gb from the Apple store

because I need a new laptop but still want to run Snow Leopard so that I won't have to upgrade all my apps.

The new MacBook Air's with the lighted keyboard, new intel chips and better video and double RAM, at only a few hundred dollars more...

It's too bad Snow Leopard won't run on the new ones...

17. trip1ex macrumors 68000

My wife would rather have the old model and a $300 necklace than the new model. :D

18. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

Good call!