Price drop on Refurbs after MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by designs216, Mar 17, 2010.

1. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Being more interested in the best deal than the very latest/fastest hardware, will there be an additional price cut to refurbs after the MBP refresh?

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

It's usually a VERY tiny drop

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ummh.. Not really. E.g. first low-end unibody MBP was 1999$ but is/was available for 1349$ through refurb store. I don't know its refurb price when it was the current gen but the price dropped at least 500$.

They have to be cheaper than the next gen refurbs will be or nobody buys them. Low-ends doesn't drop down as much but high-ends do because next gen usually offers better performance for lower-price so they again have to lower the price so somebody buys them.

Hard to say how much but I can see high-ends dropping 20%, low-ends probably near 10% from current refurb prices

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes, the older versions will drop in price, but they also get harder to find as Apple clears out stock, so it's sort of a gamble. If you do see a real deal (like an older model 15" MBP for $1349), grab it immediately, because it will be gone in no time.

5. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The OP was asking about the price drops of refurbs, not the price drop once the latest model becomes available as refurb.

What's in the refurb section now will not drop $500!

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I had a 17" refurb before the price drops(swapped it out for a new one) before the new models came out it cost me $2399 and afterwards it only cost $1949.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It was 1999$ as NEW, not refurb, possibly around 1700$ from refurb store when it was the current model but after the new models came, its price dropped to 1349$. And I mean when the new models came to online store, not refurb store.

8. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Thanks for your insight

I appreciate everyone weighing in. I spotted a deal and pulled the trigger on a 15" MBP and will upgrade the HD and RAM myself. Cheers!