Price drop on refurbs after update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crockett, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. crockett macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2008
    I have to buy an Apple to use a specific software that I'm going to be working with. I was looking at the 20 inch iMac with the 2.4 cpu.

    I was wondering if anyone knew about how much the prices will drop on the refurbs once the new model is released. The 20-inch 2.4GHz is $1,249.00 right now but I'm trying to get an idea if the price will drop much.

    I don't plan on buying the new model, I just want the best bang I can get for my buck. I'll be using it about a year to a year and a half, then reselling and doing a upgrading at that point.

    When I look at the previous generation iMac the refurb prices aren't really much lower than the current generation. So I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for maybe a lower price or not. Is there any sort of idea how much the prices typically drop?
  2. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 15, 2007
    If I had to guess I would say they won't drop at all. I am always looking at the refurb store and they have "specials" but as far as a price drop haven't seen one. ATV for instance brand new $229 refurb $199 and its been $199 even when retail was $299. Also some of the Mini's are in the same boat the price is not much off their retail counterpart and the previous gen ones are almost the same price. There are some good deals though like the Macbooks for $849 and the once in a while mini for $429 and the base 20" iMac for $999. But as far as the prices on the refurbs dropping after an update I would say unlikely.
  3. crockett thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2008
    Yea, I was kinda thinking along those lines.. Seems the prices of the previous generation are still pretty high.. In fact the 20 inch is priced higher than the current model one which seems very odd to me.

    That and the prices say they are limited time, so who knows what that means. I wonder if they are just trying to sell out old stock before the new release.
  4. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i would actually disagree with this. when the imac line is updated, apple is going to have to sell refurbished models of the new product line (after a month or so), and i don't see them selling it for anything higher than current refurb prices. the prices of current generation refurbs will indeed go down, but it's unclear how much. the recent macbook refresh brought a bigger than expected discount. the same thing might happen with the imac line (but i wouldn't hold my breath).
  5. crockett thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2008

    Yea that would be nice. I was going to just order one tomorrow but I found out I have to go out of town this Friday and Sat. I'm sure it would be my dumb luck that it would show up one of those days.. :D

    I think I'll just hold off untill next Tuesday on the odd chance that the new ones get released. One can only hope I guess :rolleyes:
  6. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 15, 2007
    I would disagree look at the previous version of the iMac it's higher priced then the current version one. Just as the retail version was.
  7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

    May 14, 2003
    The previous version has a different screen (not TN), matte, and different video card. Why is the previous gen more expensive? I dont know, but its not part for part match.

    The new iMacs will likely be identical aside from the processor, and possibly a different video card. More ram or bigger hdd are negligible differences.

    Anyway, Id imagine the current Alu refurbs will drop $50-100 once the new iMac refresh comes.
  8. Lancetx macrumors 68000


    Aug 11, 2003
    The price of the refurbished Late 2006 (White) 20" iMac dropped from $1,299 to $1,099 when the aluminum iMac models first came out last August. So yes, generally the refurbs do drop in price when a new model is released.
  9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Jan 10, 2008
    Yeah the refurb prices will probably drop. Probably not by a whole lot though. I'd say $100 maybe $150.
  10. crockett thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2008
    Alright thanks 4 the replies..

    I'm getting ancy as I'm buying this machine just to use with unity 3d for some development testing. I only plan on keeping this machine about a year then I'll upgrade to a pro if I need a better system. I just don't want to wait 2 more months at worst case, just to save $50 or $100 bucks.

    I'll likely pull the trigger by next Tuesday at the latest.. :eek:

Share This Page