Price drop when new MBP released

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedlegsFan, May 16, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I am new to the Mac laptop world and plan on purchasing a new or last gen MBP once the new models are released soon. I see the current gen's are already showing decent price drops. In your experience, will they go down more, pretty significantly once the new models are announced/hit the market?

I'm not so sure I am going to need the latest and greatest as I plan on using this more as a desktop replacement for general use, light photo editing, etc.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

New stock might go down a bit more - 5-10%. The refurbs might get a bigger wack though. But the next MBP is going to be a fairly big leap in tech -- TB3, USB3.1, etc. If you keep your machines for years you'll be better off getting the latest and greatest as last years isn't much different from the previous two years in terms of connectivity.

3. RiverOak macrumors newbie

RiverOak

I think it's too early to say what's the better buy. They might redesign it for the worse in their quest to make it thinner or more "innovative". If so, then more moderns specs isn't worth much.
    But they might also make a much more improved version. We'll find out eventually.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If this was a mere speed bump I'd agree. But it's due for some significant architectural changes. Apple has already made user upgrade of RAM impossible and internal storage economically unfeasible. All that is left is for them to strip out the external ports -- but then it wouldn't be a MBP, it would be a MB.

Skylake is Skylake. Whatever graphics are included are going to be better just because it's newer and all the GPU makers have improved product. So that plus faster TB3, USB3.1, not sure how that doesn't beat a 2015 model that is basically speed bumped from the past 3 years models plus add the new keyboard and Force Touch.

5. RiverOak macrumors newbie

RiverOak

TB3/USB3.1 is sure a good thing for future proofing the computer I'd agree to that.
    A redesign might introduce all sorts of issue however. A thinner enclosure could create issues with heat management for example. And not everyone is super happy about the MBP getting the new MB keyboard. And who knows what the pricing structure will be.

6. satchmo macrumors 68000

I would simply wait. There won't be any shortage of current MBP's on clearance the day new laptops are announced. For your needs, you really don't need the latest and greatest.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Thunderbolt 3 and USB3.1 are going to be game-changers.

Worth waiting for.

8. trims macrumors regular

Current rMBPs just went up in price around 15%, even more in some countries (e.g. UK). Snap up the bargains quickly!