price drops on early 2009 Mac Pros

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paddlr, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Paddlr macrumors newbie

I was expecting to see some price drops on the early 2009 Mac Pros with the release of the new 2010 models but haven't seen any real drops. My local Apple store (admittedly a small college town Apple store) told me they are returning all unsold 2009 Mac Pros to Apple as Apple is not refunding them the difference between what they paid when the machines were most current and what they might now be able to sell them for as "out-dated" machines. All the on-line merchants I have looked at (Apple direct, B+H, Small Dog, Mac Mall etc) have not changed their prices to any significant degree.
    Can anyone give me any (informed) advise on whether the early 2009 Mac Pros (specifically the base 2.66 Quad) will be dropping in price anytime soon? Right now the price diff between the 2009 and the 2010 base models is only a couple of hundred dollars (US). I really would like to get a new (or not used) machine so I can purchase AppleCare.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Paddlr thread starter macrumors newbie

That's just a link to the Mac Mall store? The prices on the base 2009 Macs there are higher than B+H and still only a couple of hundred less than the base 2010's.
    Sorry, but am I missing something?
    In the past - a few desktop iterations ago admittedly - when a new box was released the newly out of date machines dropped in price considerably. I once saved around $3,000 on a maxed out G4 after a new model release way back when. I haven't saved that much in more recent times, so I'm wondering if the almighty Apple is once again squeezing us for all it can by not "allowing" price drops (I'm not a huge fan of the new consumer electronics obsessed Apple and feel little reciprocation back towards the many creative industry types that supported them during the rough times).

3. MuzickLover13 macrumors newbie

There isn't a mac pro that has a quad core processor.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

If the price difference between the base '09 Quad and base '10 Quad isn't that high, go for the '10 system. You get more processor speed (although not much), the option to upgrade to a hex core in the future, standard 1TB hard drive, integrated BT and Airport, and a stock graphics card that doesn't need to be upgraded (as fast as the $300 4870 upgrade in the '09 Pro).

In case that you don't want a brand new unit, you can buy a used '09 Pro. Apple Care shouldn't be a problem since it can be bought anytime if the Pro is less than one year old.

5. Paddlr thread starter macrumors newbie

So I could upgrade to the Hex-core from the 2010 Quad? Now that I did not know. Also that I could get Applecare up to 1 year after. Interesting.
    I don't care that much about the rest of the components. I'm going to pimp the box out for photography - at least 24MB RAM, an SSD, maybe 2 for scratch, then separate Time Machine and the System on their own drives etc. I'm also running a 5 bay external HD enclosure already and I'll probably have 2 x 26" monitors, or maybe one 26" and a 30", but I believe even the older stock video card should be OK(??).
    Photoshop, even CS5, can't use more than the quad core, but Lightroom and some of the other Photography image capture software can now use more cores, but I'm trying to save some $$ in the base machine that I can put into the RAM and SSD's - not to mention non computer related equipment and mortgage payments! Maybe the option to upgrade to the hex in a year or two would make sense?

Still, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on price changes on the 2009 Mac Pros.

Thanks!