Price Estimates of Ultraportable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Jun 14, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I think i read that dell's new ultraportable will be north of $3000! Do you think that Apple's new ultraportable (whenever released) will be in the same price range? Any guesses?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Any guess is really a shot in the dark, but I imagine they'd position it at either $2000 or $2500, the former more likely.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

It depends on which technologies it uses and what the specs are. I don't think that we'll be seeing something in the $1700 range, but maybe between $2500 and $3000. It's Apple, so it will be a good product no matter what the price is.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Dr Evil told me it will cost 1 million dollars and has a frickin laser.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The laser is built into the iSight module so when an unauthorised user is detected he will be toast.

6. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

If it's built like Safari Beta for M$, then hopefully it would have Hal9000 flaws...the iSight module would make dumb posters like the one above toast, lol!

"It's Apple, so it will be a good product no matter what the price is."

7. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Well if it were the speculated ultrathin MB, then it would not be much more than the premium priced current MB.

If a MBP model, with smaller screen than the 15.4in MBP, then either the same price or around that. If priced much higher, with same or less performance than current MBP's then it would be a tough sell at a higher price. Certainly, unless it has higher performance hardware as compared to the current MBP's it would fail at a higher price point like $3k. And Dell hasn't shipped such a system yet, so we don't know how much it would cost. At anyrate, Dell gives you more configuration options, maybe even a Blu-Ray burner which could push the price up towards $3k.

Ultrathin is nice, but anything more that a slightly higher price won't sell well in the long run, IMO.

8. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I actually think they will start at probably anything above 1500 but lower than 2000and not go above 3500 for their max configuration. Starting it super high would mess with their brand image because they're known for budget computers. But they're kind of moving away from that with their XPS high end computers so anything is possible. But i would say under 2000 they would start it at, regardless of their technology they use in it.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well if Dell can charge $300 for that ugly piece of kit, I am sure Apple can charge $4999.95 for their uber cool version.

They can charge it, just happens that no one will buy :D

10. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I wouldn't be so sure about that.. some crazy fanatic won't be able to resist.. :eek:

11. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Probably around $1799-$1699 for the ultraportable. Maybe a drop of price too like 2 years later for some macs too.

$2499 for the 17" MacBook Pro
    Price stays the same for 15" MacBook Pro
    $999 for base MacBook
    Price stays the same for Mac Pro
    $200 price drops on the 20" iMac and 24" iMac

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm probably alone in this, but I don't think Apple will release an "ultra-portable" laptop. 13.3" or the MacBook is pretty small -- a smaller notebook almost doesn't make sense. I'm not saying we'll see a tablet...but maybe something entirely new. With a strikingly new industrial design!

13. snowfall macrumors member

Actually, 13.3" is pretty big, thus the demand for an ultraportable. :)

Depends on your own needs, but I believe the 12" powerbooks and ibooks sold quite well, as well as every other companies smaller sized notebooks. Now I think that was at least partially due to the lower price, but there could be other gaps a smaller laptop would fit. According to the Wiki entry on subnotebooks though, the 12" machines would be considered full-size laptops:

So using the wiki entry's language (and who doubts a wiki entry), I just want a new, full-size but small Apple laptop. To heck with the ultras and the subs... for that I'd shoot for around $1800...

14. Catonow macrumors regular

I don't care much about the particular lexicography, whether it's classified as an "ultraportable" or a "subnotebook" or a plain old "laptop." What I want is a (mostly) fully featured portable professional laptop (mini-MBP?) with a 12" or 13" matte LED screen and at least 64 mb of dedicated vram. I don't care if it's a half inch or two inches thick, I want it to weigh less than 4.5 pounds. And I could care less whether it has a backlit keyboard, a blu-ray drive or Firewire 800. And you can go hang a touchscreen, probably be a bitch for those of us who type all day long. I'd go without an iSight camera, too, all in the interests of portability/cost.

I guess the minimum specs for me would be:

full-sized keyboard, 12" or 13" LED screen (I'd probably prefer 13", everything else being equal), at least a 2.0 GHz Intel C2D, 80 GB hard drive (or a 64 GB SSD), 64 mb (or more) of dedicated vram, ideally some sort of CD-RW drive (so you can load programs, etc., though I'd be willing to sacrifice a SuperDrive for size and affordability), at least 2 USB ports, an Ethernet port, an Airport Extreme 802.11n card, all in a stylish, durable package weighing less than 4.5 pounds (ideally, less than 4 lbs.). For that I'd pay $2k -- maybe even more.

15. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i'd say $2500 for a mid-range MBPUP.

if it were $300 i'd take 3 in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Wow it is so ugly.
    Look at the shiny silvery XPS logo.
    Is that faux metal finishing that hides the real plastic underneath?
    It is a DELL.
    Does not run OSX.

:rolleyes:

17. wako macrumors 65816

very probable if it has a optical drive :p

18. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

If that happened I think they'd have to name it the Mac ProBook

19. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I would say $2300 - $3000. Look at the price of the Sony TX and Dell XPS give you an idea how much it would cost.