Price Advice Price for 2009 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rk25123, Mar 23, 2012.

1. rk25123, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012

rk25123 macrumors regular

What do you think would be a fair price for this:

Mac Pro 2009
    Quad-core 2,66 Ghz
    16 GB Ram
    Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    2,6 TB HD
    OS X Lion & Windows 7 Ultimate
    Airport Express
    +
    Apple LED Cinema Display 24"

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Well I won't comment on the Mac Pro itself, but I see the 24" Cinema Displays going for $500 on my local craigslist.

In general, including the original box and software will help your price.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The value of a used display hinges heavily on hours/type of use. Obviously Apple displays don't track these things. Some other displays do. Anyway there's a gradual shift in the gamut which is normal. The maximum brightness degrades over time which is also normal. With Apple displays in my own experience, after a couple years they look nothing like a new display, but if it's held up well, people do pay for them.

4. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

No one?!
    If it can help, when it was bought it cost around 5000€

5. RedCroissant Suspended

Used Mac Pro

Well, that would depend on who owned it and what they used it for. If they were just thinking about graphic design but didn't actually use it for that and ended up using it as a normal computer, I wouldn't offer more than $2900.

If the previous owner was a serious artist that used it for graphic design for the majority of the time they owned it, then perhaps no more than $2500.

Are the normal accessories included as well or do you have to provide your own keyboard/mouse/trackpad? Do you want Windows 7 to remain on the drive?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The price you paid means nothing, because when you bought it, ram was much more expensive, and a decent 24" display cost a lot more. You need to keep these things in perspective. Now you can look at what Apple charges for a refurb 2009 today including warranty. It's around $2000 in the US. This is without a display and with base ram, although you can pick up third party ram to 16GB with a long warranty on the ram for around $100. With the display it depends on condition, which would vary by usage pattern. Displays lose brightness with time and their gamut tends to shift.

Computer itself is worth around refurb pricing in the UK if you find the right buyer. If not, knock it down another 20%. You don't get the warranty, but ram and hard drive are upgraded which is why I'm saying you could probably get something kind of close to the price of a refurb model. Display again depends. I wouldn't anticipate over $500 here in the US. In the UK it's probably different. Apple stuff always costs more there.

This is just a starting point. Some people get seemingly excessive amounts on ebay at times, but I wouldn't start the bidding way too high.