Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Hello all. I am looking into selling my early-2011 17" MBP in order to recoup the cost of the new rMBP I purchased. It's in my sig but here are the specs:

2.2GHz i7 processor
1TB hard drive
16GB RAM
Glossy display

It's in great shape, just has one small ding near the Apple logo. I will be selling it with all original items. I did have it listed on eBay for a week for $1999 with free shipping, is that asking too much? It had 4 watchers despite not selling.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. :)

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Well, I posted a late 2011 17" 2.5GHz i7 model with 8gigs of ram and a glossy screen for the same price. No takers. Had it listed for three weeks straight without a legitimate person interested. Sadly, the computer I spent $2500 on is worth almost 1k less a few months later. I would imagine you're not going to get more than $1400 for it. As I don't think I will get more than $1750 for mine.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hello all. I am looking into selling my early-2011 17" MBP in order to recoup the cost of the new rMBP I purchased. It's in my sig but here are the specs:

2.2GHz i7 processor
1TB hard drive
16GB RAM
Glossy display

It's in great shape, just has one small ding near the Apple logo. I will be selling it with all original items. I did have it listed on eBay for a week for $1999 with free shipping, is that asking too much? It had 4 watchers despite not selling.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. :)

You're asking too high. Apple refurb is cheaper then your price.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Thank you for the replies. I did send a counteroffer to someone for $1750 and the person said they would have taken it if they had more than 48 hours to decide (eBay rules) due to getting the funds together.

For the time being at least we have decided to keep it in the family and in case something happens to my rMBP while I'm in college.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well, I posted a late 2011 17" 2.5GHz i7 model with 8gigs of ram and a glossy screen for the same price. No takers. Had it listed for three weeks straight without a legitimate person interested. Sadly, the computer I spent $2500 on is worth almost 1k less a few months later. I would imagine you're not going to get more than $1400 for it. As I don't think I will get more than $1750 for mine.

I'd suggest that the rMBP soaked up a lot of the buyers with higher budgets. Without the rMBP, how many people would really be moving from the fall version of Sandy to Ivy? It's a very moderate bump at the quad core level. Even if you're looking at the early 2011 for comparison, the jumps are there but not insane if comparing similar price points. Most of the people that are annoyed their machines dropped so much in value are the ones who want shiny new rMBPs. If those hit the $1800 slot next year or a 13" version hits the market, expect to experience the same thing. I would suggest that Apple has no interest in keeping used/residual values up at all. Cheap used macs open them up to totally different users who might otherwise be on Windows based machines due to broader price spectrum. Personally I only upgrade when it makes a real difference. Shininess means very little to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.