Price for SSDs on Amazon seems to have gone way down!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I have a 15 inch MPB I still use for streaming and I have a 256 SSD in it but I think I want to get a 2nd one and remove the optical bay.

Whats the best route for that these days?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Buy a conversion kit, there are many on Amazon and follow the instructions on ifixit.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

4. MareLuce macrumors 6502

How does installing that affect AppleCare or the free initial warranty?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well there is currently only one MacBook still being sold that it is applicable to and if you are spending that sort of money on a design and components for a 2012 machine, made today, then I'd say you have more money than sense anyway, you can pick up a second hand one for 1/3 of the price.

That said I'd imagine that you would want to question Apple first before doing it on a cMBP that's still within warranty, as it may be a warranty violation, although the law is on your side unless your change did the damage.

6. maflynn, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[if] You damage your laptop when doing the upgrade, you void the warranty. That voiding may be limited to what you damaged or could be extended to the entire computer, for example, breaking the USB connectors on the logic board will mean a new logic board and thus the warranty is mostly voided.

Edit: Added If to the beginning of my post

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

Did you mean to say "If you damage ..."

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, though that might have been a Freudian slip :p

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- They might. And they might not.
    With the Data Doubler you know you're getting something that works.

Personally, I think it's a shame to put something of shoddy build quality into a multi-thousand dollar MacBook Pro.

11. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I've never had one fail on me. I've installed at least five of them. There is not much technology in the items. One circuit board to connect the drive. It works the same for a fifth of the price.

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- True. But you can see that the Data Doubler gets a much higher average rating on places like Amazon and has many fewer 1 star ratings than the cheap ones. That's not coincidence.

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

It all comes down to one's tolerance for risk. You're saving $20 but if the part fails while writing data or corrupts the drive then you've lost a lot more than what you saved. For me, if you're dropping a couple of hundred for an SSD and taking the time to install it the savings aren't worth the potential hassle. YMMV.

14. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Word. And when using the device for a cloned backup, which I do, I have no tolerance for errors or desire to save a few dollars over the several years I expect it to last.

15. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I've not had an issue in the seven years I've been using them.

16. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

That's great, but anecdote is not data and the real issues is not will they fail but what is the impact if they do? As with anything, there is a risk tradeoff that each individual needs to make.

17. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Nor is there data that the OWC products do not fail.

These items are commodities. They all fail at some point. I'm sure we're not going to convince each other otherwise.

Macs fail.

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

- There seems to be some Amazon review data that the OWC fails less often.

19. jlc1978, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

True. Every product, no matter how good, has failures. The question is what is the failure rate and how much risk are you willing to accept. I ask myself "What are the chances I will EOL the item before it fails vs. what is the price of a failure?" You appear to be more risk tolerant in this situation than I would be, and that's fine. There is no convincing to be done since we are both free to make the choice based on our requirements and what we feel best meets them. Since the cheaper ones do what you want then they are best for you. No disagreement there.

That doesn't always mean buying the highest quality product either. For example, when I built a fence I bought a dirt cheap air nailer because I only anticipated running a few hundred nails through it. It was half the cost of renting and I didn't have to worry about finishing the project in a day, and was 1/10 the cost of a quality tool. In this case, it was an acceptable tradeoff for me. OTOH, many of my hand tools are Snap-On or Mac because I want ones I know are up to the job and won't break under stress like ones from the Dollar Store.