Price Hikes on Apple Laptops?, What do you think? - Vote here

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The SpinDoctor, Mar 4, 2009.

?

What do you think Apple will do to its Laptop Prices until the end of the year?

1. Major Price increase ~25%

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Minor Price increase ~10%

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No Price increase

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Price Decrease ~10%

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. The SpinDoctor macrumors regular

As the title says, what do you think?

I think there will be a price hike Worldwide because from the looks of it, Apple is heading the wrong direction.

And while many existing Mac owners may purchase another Mac, 1st time customers, or people panning to purchase during the year (me), will most likely not.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The £ was half-way towards the state it is at now when the new MacBook family was released, but if the new desktops at the super raised prices fail to sell, Apple will be forced to maintain the price or lose many once loyal customers.

P.S. Apple normally maintains prices in the US, so my post only really applies to the UK.

3. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I hope your right...............

4. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Why does everyone think that Apple will have no price rise?

I think they will go up a fair amount................

5. flanamac macrumors 6502

For those that are not aware of how the American financial and money system works...let me edumacate...

All President Obama lovers out there, you have cheered your way to a price increase via the deluge of printed money coming into the American economy hand over fist. When economic production cannot keep up with the increase in the money supply, then inflation is de facto.

Enjoy...

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Or serious deflation will be triggered because we're in a recession and inflation is nearly impossible. Germany just before WW2 all over again. Baskets of money for a loaf of bread, think Zimbabwe and billion dollar notes.

7. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, but Apple will only want it in Wheelbarrows, just to be awkward:p

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: You talk about inflation being "nearly impossible" in an economic downturn, and then reference Germany? Germany experienced hyper-inflation in the inter-war period. Zimbabwe is currently experiencing hyper-inflation. Way to contradict yourself.

And I'd like to know where you get your theory that inflation can't happen during a recession. As recently as last summer the major worry going into this situation was inflation. Take Economics 101, then come back.

Based on what? Prices may increase in some countries because of changes in the exchange rate, and some new products might see a price increase (i.e., new Mac Pro), but those increases are associated with an increase in performance and quality. Apple will not simply jack up prices without good reason. Especially not in a period of economic hardship.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I take it you don't really know anything about the economic situation of Weimar Germany. "Baskets of money for a loaf of bread" is hyperinflation, not deflation. Germany experienced hyperinflation in 1921-23, peaking in 1923, but the introduction of a new currency stabilized the situation. Then the Dawes Plan (named for U.S. vice president who won the Nobel Prize for it) and the later Young Plan by 1929 had rationalized Germany's war debt crisis. Unfortunately though, these plans tied Germany's economy closely to that of the U.S., and it was the U.S. economy's plunge into depression that dragged Germany with it.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Calm down, I was thinking about the CPI, just didn't want to write an essay.
    http://www.whiskeyandgunpowder.com/inflation-during-recession/
    :rolleyes:

11. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I should have made myself clearer, I meant outside the US (im British) and on the laptops, specifically the MBP.

I'm just saying I think a repeat of what happened to the Mac Pro, iMac etc might happen to the MBP's aswell.

12. desiringGod macrumors regular

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/03/05/apple-so-far-immune-to-pc-price-collapse/

I think they will hold. They will not raise them without significantly changing the hardware. See the article above for commentary on the drop in PC prices (18%) and the holding steady of Macs. While part of this can be attributed to the netbook, Apple will not raise it price points anymore. It may add more models at a wider range of price points, but it will not start the lowest end MBP at $2200 or the lowest end MB at $1500.

Seeing that it may face some competition with new hardware and Windows 7 about the same time SL is released, I think it is a safe bet that price will remain the same in order not to lose volume.

13. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

When you say significantly changing the hardware, would you include i7's in that category?