Price Increase for the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hard-Hat-Mac, May 18, 2007.

1. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Hi All,

I'm waiting out the new revamped MBPs like a lot of you on here, but I am getting worried that the prices will be significantly higher with the more expensive LED screens. Have any of you gave thought to what a new pricing would be. I understand Apple has a history of maintaining a similar/same price for new products, but the LEDs do worry me.

Thoughts?

Hard-Hat-Mac

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

As a fellow also waiting for a MBP I'd say I HOPE NOT!

Though I doubt they would, or else they may drop sales. If they were to increase the price then it would have made more sence to do a bigger update to the MB and make the gpu a bit better so sales kept up and evened out.

So in my view, no, no price increase. Hopefully a slight decrease like the MB's (well here in the UK anyway!)

3. Hard-Hat-Mac thread starter macrumors regular

I hope you're right. Hopefully we'll see some upgraded MBP's tomorrow at the same pricing!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple are all about maintaining their price points. I doubt the price will change at all, and certainly not up.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The Mac Mini was the only deviation from this idea -- hopefully, Apple will bring that price back down to $499.

6. daze macrumors 6502

daze

You can always go for a refurb of a previous model, if price increases are a big deal than having the latest and greatest. My two cents.

7. dex22 macrumors regular

I imagine the system-wide costs would be lower for an LED-backlit panel. The technology may cost a little more just now, but it means you can do away with the inverter/power board, which is a bulky and inefficient part. This means thinner, lighter macbook pros with slightly improved battery life.

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I think the price will stay the same, if it goes up it won't be by much.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If Apple cannot put in LED screens and keep the same price point, I bet they're offering the new screens as a BTO option so customer can choose whether to pay less or get the new tech. Overall, products tend to become cheaper over time, so I think lifting base model price is not an option.

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'd go along with that.

New question: Will the LED backlight technology fit in the current MBP chassis? Another way to look at this question, can the LED be added to the current form factor or would the LED upgrade require full model chassis change?

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

No. Different power requirements. You would need new/different mobo/logic board components. It is not just a switch-in and possible software changes proposition.

12. Hard-Hat-Mac thread starter macrumors regular

So if that's true, they really can't make it a BTO, unless they have two separate hardware set-ups which seems unlikely.

Will the LEDs affect the finish at all or will it still be the same old debate between matte and glossy?

HHM

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I hope it doesn't go up! I turned down a mega sweet deal on a blackbook because I want a new mbp!

14. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Thats not what he was asking, the MacBook Pro could remain with the same form factor with the new screen. The LED takes up less space, it should fit.

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Spock.........I.........just need.......ahhhhhhhhh.....MacBook Pro. :D

Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you combine these questions then carfac's response is more relevant.

if there are major additional hardware change necessary then there won't be a BTO option for LED screens. that worked for glossy and matte screens but it won't for LED and standard backlighting.

in that case i would expect LED only.

however i don't expect a price increase. a small pricedrop is even more likely. just compare what the old powerbooks did cost. especially the titanium was very expensive. so apples price point is can come down sometimes.

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

God I hope there's not a price increase. Wouldn't mind seeing a blu-ray drive in there with no price change although highly unlikely.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I don't think prices will increase. The MBPs are only going to be like .07ghz faster than the Macbooks and will probably still use the old x1600 GPU. The addition of a LED display does not justify a $1000 premium.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

so you don't expect the MBP's to be LED, Santa Rosa, 2,4gHz, faster FSB, Robson caching? together with the formfactor (15 inch, lighter, alu-design, express slot, FW800, backlit keyboard) that would justify the $1000. even if some of the extra features aren't really necessary for all users.

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I would gamble that blue ray will have to be a BTO option in the Mac Pro before it will be in anything else.

21. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

What, you're saying that the Mini is chopped liver? ;)