Price increase in areas without 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmc1818, Jun 13, 2008.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

Will att make you pay the extra amount for data if you live in an area that has no 3g and isnt even close to an area with 3g? I live in a large city that for some reason has no 3g. Will there be any chance they wont make you pay for the increase in price?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

As long as you're not using a 3G phone then I doubt it.

3. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I disagree. I think that the new data plan price is a "one price for all." If I were to use Edge at my home and then travel and use 3G in another location, AT&T is not going to charge me one rate for the time I use Edge and a higher rate for the time I use 3G, they are just going to charge the higher rate for the 3G plan.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

They have one standard $30 PDA data plan that you have to get whether you will use 3G or not.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Correct, if you get the iPhone 3G you will have to purchase a 3G data plan. Just because your area doesn't have 3G yet and the phone rolls down to use EDGE, you'll still pay full for the 3G data plan. At least, that's how I understand it.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Same rules apply to the iPhone that apply to all AT&T's 3G phones. You buy any one of them and you pay for 3G.

7. saDeRmac macrumors regular

YES Someone who actually understands! The price hike is not because of the 3G or else the Centro and the Blackberrys would have a cheaper data plan (they still use EDGE).
    Like I said b4 its not because of the 3G its more because the iPhone is a subsidy.

I corrected the 3G to mean PDA lol...

You buy a Tilt that has 3G you have to pay $30 a mth regardless if you live in a 3G area or not.
    You buy a Palm Centro or Blackberry, you pay $30 a mth for a phone that can't use 3G at all... its more like at&t wants to have one data package for all its PDA devices... thats all I can ponder and I work for the man... lol

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Just as an FYI, before you go off on this, paying for 3G, whether your specific area has that connectivity or not, is the same deal across the board for all US carriers and costs the same, or more, for every other carrier as the iPhone's new unlimited data plan.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Plus, the assumption is, you'll get 3G eventually, or may roam into a 3G coverage area and then be able to use the service.

Easier bookkeeping to, $30/month for everyone, and there's no "this person is only on EDGE, so keep him/her on it even in a 3G coverage area"... :eek:

10. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Good Lord! Who said the price increase was for 3G? The price increase is to line the iPhone up with the rest of the Smart Phones that AT&T sells... like the Blackberry. If you buy a blackberry from AT&T, your charges are :

BlackBerry:
    30.00 per month on the personal plan
    45.00 per month on the enterprise plan

IiPhone:
    30.00 for personal data plan
    45.00 for enterprise data plan

Get it? Has nothing to do with speed!

11. saDeRmac macrumors regular

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU

12. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I think consumers understand, but most just do not want to accept it. I accepted that price when I had my BB for a short while and I will accept it with my new iPhone as well.