"Price is Right" Blows -- Find Out Why

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I just watched a few moments as I was passing through our kitchen. I thought I saw an Apple machine as one of their showcase prizes. And it was!

From what I saw and what they said, it was a dual G5, 250 gig HD, and came with a 20 inch plasma screen.

But they never mentioned it was apple! :rolleyes:
What? It's not some common computer! :mad:

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Um...I like Price is Right.

Mind you, I've never seen an Apple computer on it - but still, the whole show doesn't suck because they didn't mention 'Apple' in one of their prize names...

IN FACT - oftentimes Apple refuses to associate their company name with these prize giveaways. For example: TCF National Bank has a promotion going on at the moment that offers a free iPod 1 GB Nano when you sign up for a checking account. At the end of the commercial, it says: "Apple is in no way involved in this giveaway" - you know, with legal jargon...

Shrug - I still like the show...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The PIR has given away iPods but they called it an MP3 player. So its not uncommon for them to use a generic term.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Did they cover up the Apple logo on the computer with a sticker?

There's an ad on TV here for a correspondence learning centre that has shots of a Dell (or some other generic PC) laptop with an Apple sticker over the top of the PC logo on the back of the screen..... couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
IN FACT - oftentimes Apple refuses to associate their company name with these prize giveaways. For example: TCF National Bank has a promotion going on at the moment that offers a free iPod 1 GB Nano when you sign up for a checking account. At the end of the commercial, it says: "Apple is in no way involved in this giveaway" - you know, with legal jargon...
Presumably they don't want to dilute the brand. I'm not sure it makes sense as a marketing thing, but whatever.

It's like the NFL and the SuperBowl. That's why all those promos talk about a "trip to the Big Game in [Detroit]" or whatever.

Presumably Apple has warned them not to use their products for promoting the show (which is essentially what they are doing).

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
bobber205 said:
I just watched a few moments as I was passing through our kitchen. I thought I saw an Apple machine as one of their showcase prizes. And it was!

From what I saw and what they said, it was a dual G5, 250 gig HD, and came with a 20 inch plasma screen.
Um, there's no dual-G5 iMac, and there's also no iMac with a plasma screen.

I like the show

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I fail to see iMac, and the 20" screen is undoubtedly an ACD.

That said, I love price is right, and would love to win that prize.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
"And you've won a BRAND NEW CAR!!!"

Point being, I've never heard them say "And you've won a BRAND NEW CHEVROLET COBALT WITH AIR CONDITIONING AND [inset specific features here]!!!"

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
2nyRiggz said:
Man that guy don't age....when i was 10 he looked the same.

Bless
I dunno ... look around his eyes. The fire seems to have gone out.

He's also picking up an elderly lisp -- as though his mouth is beginning to struggle to get around words.

It's time for Bob to hang 'em up -- wonder how much he gets paid (or how much he loves his gig)?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
thedude110 said:
It's time for Bob to hang 'em up -- wonder how much he gets paid (or how much he loves his gig)?
I'm guessing love. He's got to have enough cash laying around that it is for the love of the show. and the 50 year old models. he he.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
nbs2 said:
I'm guessing love. He's got to have enough cash laying around that it is for the love of the show. and the 50 year old models. he he.
Without Bob the Price Is Right is as good as done, plus who will tell us to have our pets spade or neutered.:p

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
It's funny, I read this thread this morning and as I looked up I saw exactly what the OP was mentioning. It was a G5 Powermac with a 20" ACD. The guy who bid on it was wayyyy off though at $24thou -- it was like $44thou. I think he owns a Dell. :p