Price/Low-end Model Drop?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gazeeb, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Gazeeb macrumors newbie

Is there any evidence that Apple plans on dropping the low-end Touch model and dropping down the costs a la what they did with the iPhone?

I'm adamant about getting a Touch (b/c I'm on Verizon), but I don't exactly have the income to buy the high-end model like I'd like. If they were to drop the price, I'd pounce on it.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I would expect that they would lower the price/drop the 8GB version the next time the iPhone gets a major update/price drop or the next iPod event that in the past few years has taken place in September.

3. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

If you want to wait to buy a touch, there are two specific occurances:

WWDC: It's where you see apple unveil the coolest product revisions other than Macworld. You can be likely to see a 3G iPhone here, and therefore a price drop. WWDC was when the iPod classic (4G) was first released. Historically however, we don't see much here...but rumors seem to point to a new iPhone somewhere on or close after this date.

September: After the backtoschool pricedrops/specials that happen with the laptop line, you will see iPods in the next phase see drops. Every September, the nano has been updated, and the first iPod touch came out on September, and the iPod classic line was released in September. Usually that first week.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Refurb prices are dropping, so I think a cost reduction is in the pipe. I think they will drop the 8G - three different sizes makes the line more complicated than it needs to be...

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Refurb prices aren't dropping... They've always been $249 ($229 without software upgrade). Expect price drop around September and SEARCH THE FORUM. These threads are posted a lot, so there are a lot of opinions on the same thing elsewhere on this site.

6. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

Effectively $249 at Target this week...

There have been rumors, but nothing's happened yet. However, if you want a $50 "rebate" Target is advertising the 8GB iPod Touch with software upgrades for $299 with a $50 Target Gift Card at purchase.

The ad says "quantities limited - no rain checks" and the display at my nearby Target Greatland said "CLOSEOUT - No rain checks."

7. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

Effectively $249 at Target this week...

(accidental duplicate post deleted, with my apologies!) :eek:

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

retailers however are having price specials on the touch. Fry's electronics has the 16g for 350 and target gives $50 in a gift card when you buy the 8g. Apple will not drop the price in my opinion. The iPhone is a phone and phone prices allways change while other electronics remain stable.

9. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

yeah, i find that odd that places are dropping the prices on the 8GB model mostly.. like best buy you can pick it up for like 280 i think..